• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph & Mary Shepherd, travelling show people , onion fair Aston pits

Clairebillyjohn

Brummie babby
I’m desperately trying to trace my grandads family now I’m loosing him to dementia . His mum was Mary shepherd and she was born into the fair family from her parents and grandparents etc , my great great nan has the cakewalk which is now in the black country museum , she also had the wall of death which my grandad and his younger brother rode the motorbikes round . My great nan was also a boxer and would regularly fight in the booth as did my grandad Joseph and his brother Walter . Mary shepherd was married to Joseph Doody and they had , Walter , Evelyn , Joseph ,James and Hilda who all grew up in the fair . It’s my great nan Mary shepherd who I’m trying to trace back , I’ve tried everything I think she had a sister ? , all I know is they traveled with pat Collins fair , all I can find is that an s shepherd sold the octopus ride in the 50’s any help would be appreciated

Joseph and Mary's marriage was registered in Walsall 1912. Your best bet might be to purchase the marriage certificate for more info - father's name & occupation for eg.

Joseph looks to be in Killamarsh, Derbyshire in 1911 assisting at an Aunt Sally stall and there is a Mary Shepherd of a similar age living in nearby Chesterfield but it'd be lucky if it was her.

There appears to be more Doody/Shepherd children registered - Nellie, Frank & Hardy & John. Last 3 died young.

Last edited:
There appears to be a newspaper report - 22 Aug 1935, Bham Daily Gazette - of Mary & Nellie being assaulted.

There's also a Mary Ann Shepherd b1896 living in Bloxwich 1911. She has a brother Sydney.

Last edited:
She's living in Great Francis St in 1939 with daughter, son and grand daughter.

Living in Beale St with Walter afterwards.

Dob on 1939 seems to be 21 Sep 1889 and she's listed as Mary E. There is a death registered for a Mary Elizabeth Doody Jan 1984 Bromsgrove, dob is given as 23 Sep 1887. Is this her?

Joseph and Mary's marriage was registered in Walsall 1912. Your best bet might be to purchase the marriage certificate for more info - father's name & occupation for eg.

Joseph looks to be in Killamarsh, Derbyshire in 1911 assisting at an Aunt Sally stall and there is a Mary Shepherd of a similar age living in nearby Chesterfield but it'd be lucky if it was her.

There appears to be more Doody/Shepherd children registered - Nellie, Frank & Hardy & John. Last 3 died young.
How did you find this I’ve been looking for weeks x

Just expreience and persistence.

Nothing certain of where Mary was born though. Joseph's family is easy to trace back, father was a miner.

Master brummie could you possibly assist in helping me find info on my great Nan , Nancy Annie may Smith 1910 - 1955 Died of tb was buried at within cemetry , married to Sydney smith born 1910 died 1942 , daughter mollie ,Pauline ,Vivian ,Maureen , twin boys that died young x

It looks like her name was Annie May Williams which unfortunately with no other information doesn't make it easy to find her.

There were living in Scholefield St in 1939.

Back