• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph & Emily Jennings

jane1don

Brummie babby
Hello everyone,

it turns out I'm a Scottish lass with a bit of 'Brum in me!

Im looking for help so I guess the best thing to do is tell you all what I know.

My grandfather James T C Mills (army posting) married Hazel G J Jennings(Gloria) on 30th September 1944. Her father was named as Joseph Absalom Jennings living at 107 Harvey Road, Yardley. Hazel and my gramps then moved back to Scotland and had my Dad James H Mills on 22nd August 1945. Hazel then left Scotland around 1949 and I have an electoral roll for her in Somerville Road with Joseph and Emily Jennings and a William M Laybourne, she was listed as Hazel G J Mills. I have them listed again in 1955 this time without Hazel. I can't find a birth for Hazel who was 18 at the time of marriage. What I did find is a birth for a Hazel G J Miles in 1926 to a Gladys Banner and a Nelson S Miles interestingly if I have the right marriage Emily was a Banner - maybe a leap too far on that one!

My Dad hasn't seen or heard from his mother since he was 3 he is 70 in a few weeks and is desperate to reach out to any siblings he may have or if we are lucky meet his mother.

Any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks in advance

Jane xxxxx

Being a Banner might not be that much of a stretch because there is marriage listed for a Joseph A Jennings and an Emily A Banner in Bham 1927.

Hi MWS,
thanks for reading and replying! Yeah, that's the marriage I saw. I tried to link Emily and Gladys through Cencus records but got myself in a muddle, I'm so new to all this you ser

I hoped that someone would recognise the story, young girl off to Scotland with her soldier, has a baby and comes home without him! We think she may have remarried and went on to have 4 kids, the only martiage
I can link is to a guy called rich
in the Don Valley! Aaaarrrggghh!!!!!

Jane x

Gladys Georgina Banner was the daughter of Edward Banner and Georgina Beeson born 1898 in Cobridge, Staffs

Edward was born 1861 in Loxley.

Georgina was born 1865 in Alveston and died in 1899.

They married 1883 in London.

Gladys had older siblings, maybe Emily was a niece.

Hi again,

well done you! I clearly have a lot to learn with census stuff! Is Swindon far from Birmingham? Would this be s feasible line of enquiry do you think? They didn't have anymore kids I checked that. Joseph and Emily were married the year after Hazel was born and a few years after that I saw a record of a Gladys g miles on a passenger list to Quebec! I think I'm filling in the blanks

Gladys's father seems to have travelled a lot. 1881 he's in London, had children in Warwickshire and Staffordshire, was back in London in 1901 and in Swindon in 1911.

There's a birth registered for an Emily Amelia Banner Mar qtr 1905 Aston and a death registered for an Emily Amelia Jennings 1980 in Warwick and Leamington, birth is given as 11 Dec 1904.

This is Emily Banner is the daughter of a Francis Samuel Banner b1879 in Selly Oak, son of an Alfred Banner b1850 in Harborne, son of a Thomas Banner.

Haven't found any connection between those Banner's and Gladys yet.

There were other Miles/Banner children - Ernest J 1920, Francis S, 1921, Lionel J 1923 - Francis S seems a coincidence.

Think I've got it Gladys Banner/Nelson Miles is a red herring.

There is a marriage for an Elsie May Banner and a Ernest John Miles 8 Nov 1919 St Andrew's Bordesley. Father listed as Francis.

Elsie May was born 1899 and is Emily's sister. Elsie and Ernest seem to be Hazel's parents

The only way to know if Hazel was Ernest and Elsie's daughter would be to buy her birth certificate. Only a tenner from the gro.

Hazel Gloria J Leighton died November 2004 birthdate given 16th Sept 1926

Hazel Jennings married Albert Leighton 1953 Hereford.

Alan L Leighton mother Jennings born same year Hereford.

All info after that date by pm please.

Jane all the certificates birth. marriage and death will help you solve your mystery except why she became Jennings , perhaps her parents were not able to care for her.

Just to add believe she died in Kenilworth 22nd November 2004 obituary in Kenilworth newspaper 27th november 2004

Last edited:
I cannot thank you enough x this will mean so much to our family if we confirm through Certs x I guess the search goes on for Alan x I will have a go and see where we end up x Alberta can I pm you? Xx

Certainly Jane.

I have asked a member who is really excellent at research to further to you Hazels obituary by Private message.

Last edited:
Back