• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joseph Davis

Megan Davies

Brummie babby
hello,
I am searching for my family history. My father, Donald (Colin) Davis is from Birmingham and my Great Grandfather, Joseph Davis Snr b.1879 of Summer Grove, Summer rd Edgbaston (address in 1920) prior to this Navigation St, is an enigma. His father was William Davis. Joseph was married to Alice Davis nee Davies who died 7 Feb 1920 aged 31, leaving Winifred, Rosina and Joseph Jnr to be separated and left to live with different relatives. Joseph Davis Jnr (my grandfather) lived with Mary Potter nee Davies (auntie) and Thomas potter of Kingsbury rd Erdington who owned a grocer store.
Does anyone know of a place that was called Summerhill Home or Sunnyside for the elderly? This is where Joseph Snr died in 1966...we think.
Kind regards
Megan Davies

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but I think it might have been part of the Birmingham workhouse. Later part of Dudley Road hospital. That is from my memory so will do some digging later.

Was Joseph Senior just Joseph or Joseph Frank or Joseph Frederick? Trying to find a birth registration for him around 1979 in Birmingham. Any idea of his DOB? Do you know he definitely died in 1966?

In 1963 phone book (nearest I could find online) there is a Summerfield Hospital Western Road - the address is why I think it must have been part of the former workhouse which was 1 western Road. According to the National Archives it was a "geriatric" hospital post 1948. I have vague recollections of a great aunt being there and not being happy because she thought it was still the workhouse.

Last edited:
There was a home for elderly men at No 19 Summerhill terrace , close to Dudley road in the 60s.
Was Joseph Senior just Joseph or Joseph Frank or Joseph Frederick? Trying to find a birth registration for him around 1979 in Birmingham. Any idea of his DOB? Do you know he definitely died in 1966?

In 1963 phone book (nearest I could find online) there is a Summerfield Hospital Western Road - the address is why I think it must have been part of the former workhouse which was 1 western Road. According to the National Archives it was a "geriatric" hospital post 1948. I have vague recollections of a great aunt being there and not being happy because she though tit was still the workhouse.
Thankyou Janice for digging. The only info l have is an old scrap of paper of the death notice which states Joseph Davis May 19 at Summerhill Home Birmingham. Birmingham Crematorium Perry Barr 12 noon Cortage from 59 Hansons Bridge rd Erdington..possibly 1963 or 1969 we are not sure. My grandfather thought he was 87 when passed. I live in Australia and now my grandfather Joe jnr has passed we are trying to work out some basics of near family tree but Joe snr disappears a part from death notice that was sent from Birmingham to Aus when he died.

Ive done some more digging and he is said to have had a cockney accent..so l'm assuming he may have originated from London now...he was married in Birmingham in 1911 to a local Alice Davies and died in Birmingham death notice which states Joseph Davis May 19 at Summerhill Home Birmingham. Birmingham Crematorium Perry Barr 12 noon Cortage from 59 Hansons Bridge rd Erdington..possibly 1963 or 1969 we are not sure...he was a railway carriage cleaner in 1915 and lived 5 back 84 navigation street.
Megan ;)

the closest death record i can find to the info given is joseph davis born 1877..died birmingham... 2nd quarter 1963 aged 86

the closest death record i can find to the info given is joseph davis born 1877..died birmingham... 2nd quarter 1963 aged 86
My grandfather said he was 87 when he died. He was 32 in 1911..only 2 years out...apparently he was a bit of a 'jack the lad' so we are assuming the details he provided on certs are correct.

ok megan just checking you had that info...do you have alice on the 1911 census..she was born in dudley....

the only way to be certain if the death i found is his is to obtain the death cert..

lyn

ok megan just checking you had that info...do you have alice on the 1911 census..she was born in dudley....

the only way to be certain if the death i found is his is to obtain the death cert..

lyn
Thanks Lyn, We have quite a bit of info on Alice's family but Joseph is a mystery! How do l go about obtaining the cert? Thank you so much for your help.

hi megan you can order online from the general register office...see link below or you can visit the birmingham register office in person if you live in birmingham..the ref number you need is 9c 528...joseph davis born abt 1877 died 2nd quarter which means either april..may or june 1963...if you do decide to take a chance on the death cert will you let us know how you get on please

as you know we do have alice on the 1911 living in dudley just before she married joseph..her family owned their own fish business...the problem is finding joseph on the 1911 as he could have been anywhere...think i am grandson sitting today but when i have time i will try and find him as that would at least tell us where he was born..i have found a joseph davis born london living in london on the 1911 b 1877 living with brother philip...could just be a coinsidence but one of the witnesses on josephs marr cert is a p davis...could that be his brother philip ? the census was taken on april 2nd and he married on april 16th so it is possible but nothing concrete at the min ..just one to note

lyn

Last edited:
Don't think this has been mentioned.

On the 1939 register he is with his daughter Winifred and son in law Frederick Dutton at 87 Hanson's Bridge Road.

Dob listed is 1st Oct 1876.

as you know we do have alice on the 1911 living in dudley just before she married joseph..her family owned their own fish business...the problem is finding joseph on the 1911 as he could have been anywhere...think i am grandson sitting today but when i have time i will try and find him as that would at least tell us where he was born..i have found a joseph davis born london living in london on the 1911 b 1877 living with brother philip...could just be a coinsidence but one of the witnesses on josephs marr cert is a p davis...could that be his brother philip ? the census was taken on april 2nd and he married on april 16th so it is possible but nothing concrete at the min ..just one to note

lyn

Does his occupation on the marriage certificate correspond to his occupation on the 1911 census?

Also does he give an address?

Might have him. On his marriage his father is listed as William

There is a birth registered for a Joseph Davis Dec qtr 1876 Aston (matches dob 1939), mmn Hartland.

There is a marriage registered for a William Davis to a Rosina Mary Hartland listed Jun qtr 1871 Lambeth.

On 1881 census there is a Joseph Davis living at Gibb St, Aston with grandparents Henry and Rebecca. Henry is a bricklayer born Worcestershire. Also there is Nelly aged 3, which matches a Nellie Davis registered Aston Mar qtr 1878, mmn Hartland.

On 1851 census a Henry Davis (bricklayer) is living in Tewkesbury with wife Rebecca and children, including a William b1838 Tewkesbury.

On 1901 census William Davis born Tewkesbury is living in Brighton with wife Rosina and a daughter Winifred. Winifred is 19 and born Brighton and there is a birth registration listed for a Winifred Zella Davis Mar qtr 1882 Brighton.

With Joseph's 2 daughters named Winifred Zella and Rosina Mary seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be him.

I think the witnesses on Joseph's marriage cert are "Davies" which means they are likely to be Alice's relatives not Joseph's. On his marriage cert he is a "carter". On 1939 he is a railway porter.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I think the witnesses on Joseph's marriage cert are "Davies" which means they are likely to be Alice's relatives not Joseph's. On his marriage cert he is a "carter". On 1939 he is a railway porter.

hi jan i also thought that as both of the witnesses look to be spelt davies but then thought it possible the vicar could have spelt one wrong as happens a lot with davies and davis...

jan scrub the last post from me..of course the witnesses have signed their own names so would be spelt correctly...oops

lyn

T
Might have him. On his marriage his father is listed as William

There is a birth registered for a Joseph Davis Dec qtr 1876 Aston (matches dob 1939), mmn Hartland.

There is a marriage registered for a William Davis to a Rosina Mary Hartland listed Jun qtr 1871 Lambeth.

On 1881 census there is a Joseph Davis living at Gibb St, Aston with grandparents Henry and Rebecca. Henry is a bricklayer born Worcestershire. Also there is Nelly aged 3, which matches a Nellie Davis registered Aston Mar qtr 1878, mmn Hartland.

On 1851 census a Henry Davis (bricklayer) is living in Tewkesbury with wife Rebecca and children, including a William b1838 Tewkesbury.

On 1901 census William Davis born Tewkesbury is living in Brighton with wife Rosina and a daughter Winifred. Winifred is 19 and born Brighton and there is a birth registration listed for a Winifred Zella Davis Mar qtr 1882 Brighton.

With Joseph's 2 daughters named Winifred Zella and Rosina Mary seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be him.

Back