• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Davis

I think the witnesses on Joseph's marriage cert are "Davies" which means they are likely to be Alice's relatives not Joseph's. On his marriage cert he is a "carter". On 1939 he is a railway porter.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I think the witnesses on Joseph's marriage cert are "Davies" which means they are likely to be Alice's relatives not Joseph's. On his marriage cert he is a "carter". On 1939 he is a railway porter.

hi jan i also thought that as both of the witnesses look to be spelt davies but then thought it possible the vicar could have spelt one wrong as happens a lot with davies and davis...

jan scrub the last post from me..of course the witnesses have signed their own names so would be spelt correctly...oops

lyn

T
Might have him. On his marriage his father is listed as William

There is a birth registered for a Joseph Davis Dec qtr 1876 Aston (matches dob 1939), mmn Hartland.

There is a marriage registered for a William Davis to a Rosina Mary Hartland listed Jun qtr 1871 Lambeth.

On 1881 census there is a Joseph Davis living at Gibb St, Aston with grandparents Henry and Rebecca. Henry is a bricklayer born Worcestershire. Also there is Nelly aged 3, which matches a Nellie Davis registered Aston Mar qtr 1878, mmn Hartland.

On 1851 census a Henry Davis (bricklayer) is living in Tewkesbury with wife Rebecca and children, including a William b1838 Tewkesbury.

On 1901 census William Davis born Tewkesbury is living in Brighton with wife Rosina and a daughter Winifred. Winifred is 19 and born Brighton and there is a birth registration listed for a Winifred Zella Davis Mar qtr 1882 Brighton.

With Joseph's 2 daughters named Winifred Zella and Rosina Mary seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be him.

Back