• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joseph and his technicolour rags..

K

Kandor

Because times were a tad hard when I was a kid. Mom, was to say the least 'Creative'.
I cant remember the times she unravelled jumpers and suchlike to reclaim the wool to make us another daring little number (usually Balaclavas or scarves)
But the snag was...we didn't always have wool.
I think my worst bit of kit was Mom making me a jumper out of a Cushion or something..I'll list the one and only saving grace of the whole thing first...
It was plain dark green..there! that's it, the only good bit about it..
Mom beavered away for weeks on this little number and we all watched in facination at seeing the monstrosity put together..
I, of course thought it was my brothers or sisters (oh trust me, our Mom started unisex long before the world had heard of it) I was even hoping she'd gone into business making Dog coats for oversized Poodles..
Well guess what? it was none of those bloody things...it was mine, it was an armless sweater and it was Green...oh...and it was Velvet...
Sob..
Oh the shame as she made me wear it to School that first day..
The other kids took the mickey out of me all day..they called me 'Cushion boy'..'Sofa lad' ...and a load of names being much too rude to mention..
I looked just like I'd had a green runny nose for the last 6 weeks..
Mom always did that to me...from my new Balaclava which when it got wet it dyed my face blue to my Sand coloured shorts that chaffed my ankles...the worst bit was...she was proud of it...and me? I was the rainbow kid..never did find that pot of gold though...

:D My Mom made us lots of clothes, in fact she was very good with her hands at making and mending things.
She made my sister and I a number of very nice dresses, the only thing was she would always make them to last, so more often than not they were always two sizes too big and by the time they fitted us they were worn out :( .
Our dresses always seemed to be four inches longer than our coats and our shoes always seemed to either have cotton wool up the toes to make them fit, or mine would have thick cardboard to stop the rain getting in.
Once my sister and I had cardigans that had been knitted out of used wool, Elaine’s was ‘Bottle Green with Teal Blue ‘ sleeves and pockets and mine was ’Rust with Mustard’ sleeves and pockets, we hated them.
Mom did make me a real cool white blanket coat when I was 15 though and it was all new materiel too 8) .

Nothing can beat the embarressment of walking out of the sea in the swimming costume that your Mom has lovingly knitted for you.How I got to walk out is a mystery the weight was enough to drag me under.

Back