• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jones Thomas 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Betteley)

fairport

knowlegable brummie
Hoping to trace the family history related to one Thomas Jones (known to all as 'Tommy') born in/near 1922 who was believed to have originated from the Wellington, Salop area before moving to Birmingham, father's name Harry Jones. In 1948 'Tommy' married Lilian Gwendoline Mason (known to all as 'Cis' thanks to her brother Ronald Mason) of 199, Percy Road, Sparkhill, daughter of Ethel Ann Mason of same address. They remained at 199, Percy Road until shortly after his death. He had worked at Reynolds Tubes/TI Reynolds in Tyseley and was a keen fisherman and member of the BAA. 'Tommy' died in 1955 at the age of 33 in a car crash near Banbury whilst on a fishing trip with two close Brummie friends, Ernest Shuttleworth of Stechford and John Taylor of Balsall Heath. A witness at the wedding of 'Tommy' to Lilian was a Mrs Annie Beatrice Betteley, a Jones before marrying Alexander Betteley in 1930, again both from Wellington, Salop. Mrs Annie Beatrice Betteley was living in Birmingham at the time of Tommy's wedding and is believed to have remained and raised a family in Brum. If anyone has any information on him or his immediate family & friends I would be truly grateful as I have little to no knowledge of his short life.

(According to the death certficate 'Tommy' was named Henry Thomas Jones though he only ever used the names Thomas on other documents)

Also of interest : James Mason who married the above mentioned Ethel Ann Neal in 1923, James previously of 85, Percy Road, Sparkhill/Greet, a 'Master Fruiterer' and believed a one time employee of the Prince Of Wales public house..... any info on James Mason again gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Fairport

Last edited:
Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele

Just in case a face to a name helps someone out there, please find attached a photograph from 1948 of Thomas Jones of 199, Percy Road, Sparkhill. Since last writing it now appears that Thomas Jones and Annie Beatrice Betteley (née Jones) were almost certainly brother & sister, their father being Harry Jones and mother Louisa Jones (née Huson) who were both born and married in Wellington, Salop. If anyone knows of possible Betteley links in the Birmingham area it could prove to be of great interest. Kindest regards, Fairport.

View attachment 54223

Re: Family search for Thomas Jones 1922-1955 Sparkhill (links to Mason, Neal, Bettele

is this 1911 census record any good to you

living "off haygate rd. wellington, shropshire"

harry jones 24 carter for builder b. eatonconstantine? shropshire
louisa jones 29 b. dawley, shropshire
annie beatrice jones 2 b. wellington, shropshire

harry and louisa had been married 3 yrs. had just the 1 child.

also this one living 21 crescent rd. hadley, shropshire

theophilus betteley 38 journeyman tailor b. tipton staffs
mary betteley 30 b. dawley shropshire
john 14
beatrice 6
alexandra 5 (son)
mary 4 mths. all children b. wellington shropshire

theophilus and mary had been married 7 yrs and had just the 4 children.

Dear Shera. Any good??? It's flippin' wonderful!

Will be sending for Harry & Louisa's wedding certificate anyway now, but that also helps me fill in the possible gaps in the meantime. Bless you for your speedy response. It's just like building a jigsaw isn't it?

Anyone any idea what a 'journeyman tailor' would have been.... a travelling maker/fitter of clothing presumably?

I wonder if Electoral Registers, like those used for reference on the Birmingham area post-1911, exist for other areas such as Salop/Shropshire?

Ta very muchly once again,

Fairport

im so pleased fairport, i wasnt quite sure if you had the 1911`s. i believe journeyman tailor meant an experienced tailor, someone else will no doubt know.

i have found that the first son of theophilus was not from the same mother - in 1901 living 26 st. john street, wellington

theophilus betteley widower 32 tailor working on own account at home b. princes end, staffs
john w betteley 4 b. wellington.

in 1891 theophilus was lodging in church st. wellington aged 22 tailor b. princes end staffs

his first marriage was in 1894 wellington to either jessie morris or helen jane sharman

his second marriage was in 1904 wellington to mary kent

You're working overtime now Shera!

Found Q2 1904 second marriage : definitely Mary Kent and not Ruth Barber? On FreeBMD they both appear on the same page/ref 6a1697? Hope can confirm Mary for me.....

Overthemoon Fairport

i can confirm mary for you, HES WITH A MARY IN THE 1911 :D

in 1881 living 18 tebbington terrace, tipton

john bettley 40 tailor b. branstead, staffs
elizabeth 40 b. branstead staffs
william 19 furnace man b. branstead
richard 17 furnace man b. branstead
theophilus 13 b. tipton
alexander 11 b. tipton
john 8 b. tipton
elizabeth 4 b. tipton

to go backwards with harry jones you would have to get the marriage cert to see who his father is and occ. as its such a common name. (i know you said you are getting it)

if you want further back with the betteleys i will try for you

What can I say but thank you Shera. You've been amazing. Kindest regards, Fairport.

Sorry to be a pain but was the John Bettley just a typo or the actual spelling on the Census? Fairport.

Harry & Louise Jones' address on Annie Beatrice's 1909 birth certificate is 3, Park Place, Wellington, Salop if that helps in any way. Fairport

Sorry to be a pain but was the John Bettley just a typo or the actual spelling on the Census? Fairport.

the bettley i typed is as it said on the census but that is how the enumerator thought it was spelt. i think the 1891 and 1901 were spelt incorrectly too. dont worry about that, very common!

Harry & Louise Jones' address on Annie Beatrice's 1909 birth certificate is 3, Park Place, Wellington, Salop if that helps in any way. Fairport

it doesnt really help fairport, there are a few to pick from. remember that harry would only have been 14 + or - . i think you might have to wait for the marr. cert for that one!

Understood. My wifes family name of Whiston has been found under several spellings throughout the 1800s so I know it happens. You really have been a star today. ttfn.

in 1901 louisa huson was aged 19 and working as a kitchen maid. born leegomery shropshire

in 1891 she is living cressage, shropshire

william huson 39 agricultural labourer b. all stretton shropshire
ellen huson 36 b. ironbridge
mary 18 general servant domestic b. shifnal
william 15 b. lawley? bank
edith 13 b. lawley bank
sarah 11 b. lawley bank
louisa 9 b. dawley

Makes perfect sense as Lawley Bank and Dawley Bank are both next to Dawley so in reality all were born in the same general area.

The only thing that is bugging me throughout my search is that Thomas Jones is the only name used on any documents, notes or newspaper article we've found to date except his death certificate, which suddenly quotes the Henry Thomas Jones name for the very first time. I really don't understand why.... but there we are. Maybe if I can trace his post mortem records that are referred to on the certificate it'll become clearer. Ho hum.

ttfn & thanks once again Shera,

Fairport

this must be your james mason living 85 percy rd. greet in 1911

isaac heber heeks 40 fruiterer and fishmonger b. broom warwickshire working on own account at home
sarah ann heeks 53 b. bordesley, bham
albert mason stepson 15 cycle worker b. greet, bham
james mason stepson 13 b. greet bham

and in 1901 living in yardley

henry mason 53 fruiterer retail shopkeeping b. leicestershire
latson mason (wife) 42 helper in shop b. bham
annie mason 17 leather wallet maker b. aston
jessie mason 13 b. aston
clara mason 11 b. aston
albert mason 5 b. greet
james mason 3 b. greet

the enumerators writing is very poor so wifes name might be something else! also there is a heeks family living nearby, though not the ones shown in 1911

in 1881 ive found the family in aston, i think emily street.

henry mason 31 fruiterer b. leicester
sarah jane 33 b. bham
william henry 10, ellen 8, charles 4, and rose 3. all b. bham

Hi Shera. The Heeks link is very interesting as fpound Sarah Ann is still a Mason at the wedding to Isaac Heber Heeks, Q4 1904 Solihull.... so I assume that something either happened to Henry Mason between the 1901 and 1911 Census or they simply parted company/divorced. Either way she is definitely the mother of James rather than stepmother. Not sure what to think of the Latson Mason name as the age fits with Sarah Jane (Wilk) who married Henry Q1 1868 Aston and the Sarah Ann name mentioned above. Yardley was a big area back then so it all fits in doesn't it. Thank you again for the wonderful info. By the way, we now know James & Ethel Ann Mason lived at 5 back 45 Montpellier Street in 1930, Birmingham, an address we went in search of with her before she died but it had been redeveloped.... an old back2back property as was. Kindest regards, Fairport.

Back