• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jones Gladys & George shop & licensed premises

I thought I had found the answer when I looked at 77 Holyhead Road, a premises I have entered & known for many years, was Handsworth Allotments & Social Club, in late 60's No. 79 Holyhead Rd next door was a car sales lot then Crocketts Road. But I have been back a lot of years & can't find a building on that premises. The other side of Crocketts Road starts at 87 Holyhead.
So perhaps not this one

Attachments

• 75 and 77 Holyhead Rd.JPG
    75 and 77 Holyhead Rd.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 33
I believe that the property (half property?) bearing the number 69 Cotterills La. IS the left hand half of the building no. 69, the right side being (wartime?) damaged and demolished. Check out the detail at eaves level. Sadly no other comparable features remain.

I've just had a look on Google Streetview around the district and can't see anything. Maybe the date given for the original photo is wrong and George Ernest Jones was living elsewhere at another date which would put the house not in Cotterill Lane.

The George Jones at 69 Cotterill's Lane is listed on the 1950 eroll with Gerald, Dora and Beryl Jones no sign of Gladys May (the wife in post #1).

Last edited:
Does any addresses or other information come up in electoral rolls in Birmingham or Walsall for a George Ernest Jones married to a Gladys May Jones, married some time before 1955?

Often the middle name is not registered on electoral rolls. Sometimes it is included in one year, but not the next. There are lots of George and Gladdys jones together, but no George Ernest and Gladys May . Also no George Ernest and Gladys Jones. For Gladys May Jones alone , there are none listed post 1939.

I was scratching my head thinking where those sort of houses were when I was a boy, I think Handsworth, Rookery Road had similar properties with small front gardens, similar style windows and roof lines.

I suppose around the late 1800s early 1900s there were many such buildings in all the suburbs surrounding Brum.

Taking a ride on Google earth along the routes out of town you can see where the housing changes as time went by from tall terraces four foot from the roadside to more modern detached and semi detached with front gardens and garden walls.

There are similar looking buildings on Soho Road/is it Soho Hill? the other side of the traffic lights from Villa road heading towards the flyover on the Soho House side opposite Beehive pub. I had a quick look but although similar did not have the same high level detail nor the lintels as described earlier in the thread?

It looks like George was born in Birmingham in July 1899 and was married in 1924 when he was already working in the licensed trade ...

1924 Wedding George Ernest Jones.jpg

I know that the Park Inn at Headless Cross was owned and operated by M&B when George was licensee. He and Gladys took over towards the end of 1928. I only point out that they were on a wage rather then accumulating the finance as tenants to buy their own off-licence in later years. The photograph shows that the off-licence was free-of-tie though they were stocking M&B products. Before looking into their past, I would have thought the photograph was fairly close to Walsall as Highgate did not have a great presence in Worcestershire. However, they were distributed by M&B so perhaps this is why their beers were on sale at the offie. Unfortunately, I only have trade directories for the Redditch area up to 1940. Not that it is necessarily in the Redditch area. I note that a George and May Jones were living at 15 Trafalgar Road at Erdington in 1955. Could be them but not certain. This is a residential address but it may be close to where they had a offie? So, not an answer to the original post but perhaps there is something in here that helps to further the quest.

I got in touch with the owner of the image who says the property was 29 Lichfield Road, Shelfield, Walsall.
The building is no longer standing, but features such a lintels and mouldings can be seen on #17 and #51.

I got in touch with the owner of the image who says the property was 29 Lichfield Road, Shelfield, Walsall.
The building is no longer standing, but features such a lintels and mouldings can be seen on #17 and #51.
Yes I saw the reply on facebook, see attached 1950's map, and could this be the 31-33 house still standing, I think 37 would have been a police station, and the house was on Lichfield Road, Shelfield, Walsall between New st & School st.

29 lichfield rd shelfield walsall.PNG33-35 Lichfield rd.PNG

Some possibilities .... slightly speculative ... :)
An aerial close-up from 1926 shows three houses and No 33 survives today
1_Shelfield_1926.jpg

A matching modern view - a chimney has gone.
2_Shelfield.jpg

A wider view from 1926 and the houses marked with red-spots are there today.
3_Shelfield1926.jpg

A matching modern wide view
4_Shelfield_iOS.jpg

A look at No33
33LichShel.png

Have a look round on streetview

Yes I saw the reply on facebook...
They seem a friendly enough bunch, don't they?
Wanting to know more, I followed the link and was accepted as a group member. I'm hoping we can get some further images via Walsall-specific groups; I'm looking for higher-definition on the property to reproduce details as enhancing the original image is hard going.

That's some VERY nice additional image research, by the way – nicely done!

Some possibilities .... slightly speculative ... :)
An aerial close-up from 1926 shows three houses and No 33 survives today
View attachment 162063
That #29 in this picture looks as if it has the line of the guttering at its westerly end that can be seen on the original image. Very nice sourcing!

That's a great shot, too.I'm guessing it was taken around 4pm 'in the summer', but it's late and I'm away t'm'pit; unless you've got more information, I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow.
[EDIT 'tomorrow']
My current guess is 14:05 GMT 03 or 04/08/1926. I'm happy to be contradicted.

Last edited:
Back