• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jones and Pearsall

down-under

Brummie from Down-Under
My mother Edith Oakley nee Jones was born 1918 9 Court 7 Richard Street to James Jones and Rose Jones nee Pearsall. There were other children Alice James and others. I think They lived there till about 1934, Moms Dad was deceased in 1945 when she married. The address she married from was 114 Berkeley Road Hay Mills.
Grandad Jones was a gas works foreman. On moms birth certificate was David James Jones but the David was crossed out and initialed by the registrar. A mistake?
Have no idea when Moms parents were born married or died.
Regards Pam

Hi Pam

There were Pearsall's in Witton where I was born, they were there in the 40's, and still there in the 60's/70's. There were two children, Audrey and Barry, both much older than me.

I have no idea about the Pearsall side of the family Mom died when she was 54 and I was in Australia with a young family. It is only the past year I have thought about tracing the family. Mom was 26 and Dad was 39 when they married so all the relies were older. I remember the Oakley grandparents as being realy old around 80 when they died and I was 7-8. I also remember Grandmother Rose Jones we visited her in a home where I do not know. When we were children you kept quiet and did not ask to many questions, pity! as I have said we were young with lots of older relations we did not see alot of.

Kindest Regards
Pam

Jones'

:D Not sure how much help this is but...
There were Jones' who owned a shop ( 'Haberdashery' used to buy my white ankle socks there. Never knew first names sorry.) on Great Lister St, Nechells in the 50's & 60's until the area was demolished.
There were two shops next to each other, the other shop was owned by Averill's and they were very close to Richard St and the Windsor St/ Rupert St Gas works (Just around the corner in fact).
John H, Rod , or JKC may be able to help with trade directories here...

Chris :)

Thanks Chris
Mom married from Berkeley Road East Hay mills and her father was deceased. She would have gone to school around Richard Street. You would not know the names of schools in that area 1918-1930s?
I know James Jones was a Gasworks Foreman deceased on the marriage certificate. Never knew when he died. I always thought he was a air raid warden but then I could be mistaken because I thought Mom said she lost him when she was young. Not a child but he could have died early war.
These are my childhood memories. I am sure Mom said she was on the fire engines, I know she and her sisteras worked in the amunitions factory (BSA?}. Anyway thanks Chris
Regards Pam

Kelly's 1949.
Great Lister street
187 Mrs Eliza Jones, furniture dealer.

230 Mrs Dorothy Jones, shop keeper.

233 Mrs Louise Jones, hardware dealer.

would the Averill's have been any relation to Averills in Newtown Row?

GtL. ST Shops

:D John I'm sorry I am not sure if Averill's on GtL. St were related to those in NTR... I suppose it is very possible (Mr Averill died c 1960 ish) . Both the 'Wimmin' who ran the GtL. St shops had a bit of rivalry going on and often cross stocked in order to poach customers. I liked Mrs Jones though, as Mrs Averill was a bit nosey and didn't take to kids too well. Mrs Jones also had one of those 'Penny Tray' set ups, where she would put all sorts of thing: Sweets, small toys and the like on a tray kept under the counter and kids could choose what they wanted for a penny (Some things would have cost more, but were old stock or the packets were broken). Some of us kids took ages to choose. She was so patient and just carried on serving other customers while we stared at the 'Aladdin's Cave Tray'.

Pam I am not sure which way the numbers went on Gt Lister St as we lived in a large block of flats on the other side from the shops. However 'Jones' ' did stock a lot of hardware type stuff as 'Averill's' was more groceries and food.

Chris :)

Re Jones Great ListerStreet.

John
I have just received one of my Aunts birth certificates, Alice Jones born to James and Rose nee Pearsall 1913 21 Court 3 Great Lister Street. So any of the Jones could have been related to James. I wish I knew the exact date of marriage and James and Roses death. So many to choose from.

Regards Pam

Hello Pam,

I believe Rose Pearsall and James Jones married in 1902 Aston. Can let you have full details for marriage certificate if you wish.

In 1891 there is a Rose Pearsall living at Bk of 209 Well St. Birmingham. Details:-

Joseph her father aged 47
Betsy her mother aged 47
Frederick aged 16
Betsy aged 19
Alice aged 14
ROSE AGED 12
Ellen aged 9
John aged 3

1901 There is the same family comprising:-
Betsy aged 56
Joseph aged 56
Nellie [Ellen] aged 19
John aged 13
Frederick aged 26
Alice aged 24

There is no Rose in the above family group of 1891 so searched for her and found a Rose Pearsall aged 17 living in Aston.  Not sure if this is the right one because Rose should be about 22.  She isn't living with any other Pearsall, so may be she is in lodging.    I have found a James Jones a gas store worker and wondered if this was Rose's future husband. He is 16 but in late 1902 [the marriage date] he could be 18, so possible.  It would be interesting to see Rose's age on the marriage certificate - 18 or 23!  My gt.grandmother said she was younger on her marriage certificate because she married a younger man, so may be the same happened here.

Just found the family in 1881 living at 26 Albert St. Key Hill. Birmingham
All the family there except Ellen [Nellie] and John both born after the 1881 census.

Still searching for you and will let you know if I come up with anything else.

Grace

Dear Grace
Thank you very much

Could you give me the information about James Jones gas store worker could be Rose dropped her age because of the difference. also the marriage details. With both my parents dying in the seventies and Auntie Alice I have no one I can ask about
their parents and siblings. I am only going on my childhood memories. James Jones was a gas Foreman deceased on moms wedding certificate so this James could be a possibility.
I sent for quite a few certificates and the one not received is Violet Jones mother Pearsall 1915. I am sure James and Rose had a large family. My mom Edith was born 1918 Alice 1913 I am sure Violet 1915 moms birth address was 9 court 7 Richard Street Birmingham registered in Aston. I wanted to see where Violet was born. On familyrelations I payed to see all Jones born mother Pearsall. My mom came up of cause and Auntie Alice and Violet.So the others were born before the mothers name was put on the listing

From my memories I am sure there is a Lucy, James, could be Frederick, might be a Beatrice, Alice ,Violet, Edith, I believe Mom was one of the youngest.
I have no knowledge of Roses or James family. . I might risk sending for the 1902 marriage certificate, but I have no positive proof who the parents of Rose and James were.

I met an auntie Lucy who had a husband David I always thought she was Moms sister. ??? I feel she was. no idea of her married name. I definitely Know mom had a brother James and I knew my Auntie Alice and her family closely, I have asked my eldest cousin son of Alice if he remembers more but he does not. On the 1945 voters list 114 Berkeley Road East Rose and Edith and Alice Webb married name are there. Mom married March You know 1945 I remember her saying her Dad was a firewarden??

I do not think Dad liked Mom to see her Mom ,,she visited quietly I remember going to a old people type home to see her once. where I do not know. or when she died . When I type this I realise no one said surnames only Auntie so and so. It is driving me !!!!! :crazy2: Dad Leslie Oakley had a sister Dorthy do not know married name lived near the Yew tree late fifties -sixties could have been seventies. Dads parents were in their eighties when they died in 1956. I was about 7 you see Dad was 39 at the end of the war. He was in the Royal marines from 1924 till 1936 then back in again for war probably still on the active list when after he was demobbed in 36. His parents were 29 and 31 when they married. So many relations who were cousins a lot older than us. I just accepted when I was a child that we did not see all our relatives, and we did not ask our parents or were told not to ask. I was here in Australia with young children when both my parents died, and I still miss my Mother after all these years. My then husband was not in close contact with his parents he was in foster care. So my children missed out on Grandparents also. My five grandchildren are lucky because paternal and maternal grandparents are in close contact and we love them to bits,, warts and all. :smitten:

enough of this waffle thank you Grace for your help and the other Brummies who have been so kind.

Regards Pam

Averill's of Gt. Lister Street

Pomgolian.... I wonder if you can fill me in on the Averill's shop in Gt. Lister Street.... You say that Mr. A died in the 1960's.... could he have been a Shoe Repairer?
Georgie Garrett

Hi My name is Eric Jones.
I have just began researching my family when I came across your thread.
My grandfathers name was James Jones and my grandmothers name was Rose anna Pearsall.
My fathers name was James Edward Jones who had sisters Edith, Rose,Violet,Alice,Beatty and brother Fred is this the family you were looking for?.

Hello Eric

My goodness I am so happy to find a relative I just about given up. This is the family I am looking for.

James Jones and Rose Anna Gertrude Pearsall.

On the 1911 census
James and Rose with your father James E under 1 month, Rose age 5 and Violet age 3 . Great Lister Street with James brothers Edward Jones age 20 and John Jones age 12

Love to hear from you soon.

Regards Pam

hi down-under
my father name was jimmyor james edward jones mother ada
can remember going to haymills to see dads mumand dad hes sisters was edith rose violet beatty brother fred and alice

Back