• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jollys Radio

I do remember them. Didn't they have a few stores that sold TV's and Radio. I am sure I noticed one in Sutton a couple of years ago.

Hello Derek.
Jolly's was a busy firm in the 1950s and 1960s, but they seem to have declined after that. Here are some entries from various Kelly's directories I have been able to find, which tell us a bit about the fortunes of the firm. Evidently Frank Jolly's dad, John Willy, was a grocer, and Frank must have started around 1920 or just before. The firm blossomed in the technology boom after WW2, during the 1950s, but started to decline in the late 1960s, when Frank may not have been in charge any more..
It's an interesting story, I think.
Peter

Jolly's Radio
1913:
108 Witton Road: Jolly, John William, grocer.
1921:
410 & 416 Aston Lane: Jolly, Frank, gramophone dealer.
1933:
410 & 416 Aston Lane,
94 Aston Road.
1937-39:
410 & 416 Aston Lane,
234 Witton Lane.
1943:
410 & 416 Aston Lane.
1950:
410 & 416 Aston Lane.
1956:
410 & 416 Aston Lane,
619 Walsall Road,
71 Birchfield Road,
429 Hagley Road West,
997 Tyburn Road,
115 Villa Road,
615 Bordesley Green,
Service Dept: 2A Fentham Road.
1963:
Head Office:619 Walsall Road,
410 & 416 Aston Lane,
71 Birchfield Road,
429 Hagley Road West,
997 Tyburn Road,
115 Villa Road,
615 Bordesley Green,
880 Washwood Heath Road,
291 Soho Road,
400 Aston Lane,
98 Lea Village.Service Dept: 619 Walsall Road.
1969:
416 Aston Lane,
115 Villa Road,
274 Wellington Road,
Service Dept: 619 Walsall Road,
Grundig Centre: 400 Aston Lane.
1973:
416 Aston Lane,
Service Dept: 619 Walsall Road.

In another thread I mentioned that our first TV came from Curry's in Witton. This should have read Jolly's of course! Whoops!

Thanks for the reminder, guys.

Big Gee

Jolly's.

I remember Jolly's on Witton island. A school friend by the name of Dianne Thornton worked there for some time. It was next door to Buckley's newsagents. [Any relation Alf]. My computer is still playing up. Can't get in to the quiz or my smilies. TTFN. Jean.

No but it should have been I spent enough money in there before & after Villa matches:D I answered this question about 30,000 posts ago shows you don't read all the posts Jean:drsmiley:

But my Uncle had the Butchers shop for years about 4 doors away my Moms older Brother:)

This Jolly's shop was situated at 71 Birchfield Rd Aston, between Mansfield Rd and Fentham Rd.

Phil

AstonJollysBirchfieldRd.jpg

I bought a transistor radio from Jolly's on Tyburn Road when "trannies" first came out in about 1959, I paid for it on the "Never- Never" it cost me £16
which was about 3 weeks wages for me !

Any news on John Bumstead who was the manager of Jollys in 1965, when I was manager at Wrensons, both on Birchfield Road. Happy Days.

Derek Hudson

My Uncle Alf Buckley owned a newsagents shop on Witton Island. When he died his daughter and son in law Carol Parsons carried on running it. My father and I sold newspapers on the Island in the early 50's

I remember Alf Buckley. Is he the same Alf Buckley who was on here for years?. He passed away a few years ago but I think this Alf Buckley lived by Witton Cemetary?. Just read back a few posts and they are not the same Alf Buckley.

I remember the Jollys in Witton circle, in the 60's. Our neighbour across the road was an engineer for them and he had a little company van.

Up in my loft I have a reel to reel tape recorder bought in the early 1960's from Jollys in Witton. It is a 'Ferguson' and has 'valves' which take a minute to warm up and the tape reels are full of Sixties music.

Back