• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Johnson's Garages Sutton Road & Tyburn Road

RRJ

Brummie Boomer
My G Grandfathers brother Thomas Edward Johnson ( 1893-1977) served as a motor mechanic based in France during WW1 attaining the rank of Sergeant by the end of the war. Sometime in the mid 1920's he started his filling station /garage business at 44 Sutton Rd Erdington. (Newspaper reports say he was at this location for 31 years.)

When his part of Sutton Rd was demolished for redevelopment in the late 1950's he moved the business to Tyburn Road on the corner of
Wood lane, opposite Inland road. In 1970 he retired and the business was wound up. Strangely there is still a Johnson's garage at the
Tyburn Road location but as far as I can find they are not related. (Thomas had two daughters)

During his lifetime he was also chairman of the Midlands division of the Veteran cars association, taking part in rallies at home and abroad.
One of his old cars still enters in the London Brighton rallies in recent years. ( reg: AF 3870)

I remember seeing the 'Johnson's' garage sign from the top deck of the bus going to and from school at Paget Road in the sixties never
realising I was related to him. Sadly although I have around twenty press cuttings of his rallying exploits I have no images of either of his
filling station / garages.

My G Grandfathers brother Thomas Edward Johnson ( 1893-1977) served as a motor mechanic based in France during WW1 attaining the rank of Sergeant by the end of the war. Sometime in the mid 1920's he started his filling station /garage business at 44 Sutton Rd Erdington. (Newspaper reports say he was at this location for 31 years.)

When his part of Sutton Rd was demolished for redevelopment in the late 1950's he moved the business to Tyburn Road on the corner of
Wood lane, opposite Inland road. In 1970 he retired and the business was wound up. Strangely there is still a Johnson's garage at the
Tyburn Road location but as far as I can find they are not related. (Thomas had two daughters)

During his lifetime he was also chairman of the Midlands division of the Veteran cars association, taking part in rallies at home and abroad.
One of his old cars still enters in the London Brighton rallies in recent years. ( reg: AF 3870)

I remember seeing the 'Johnson's' garage sign from the top deck of the bus going to and from school at Paget Road in the sixties never
realising I was related to him. Sadly although I have around twenty press cuttings of his rallying exploits I have no images of either of his
I wonder what he would think of todays cars? He saw many changes in his life’s journey but nothing like the last 10 or so. Sounds like he had a very fulfilling life!

Some years ago I was given several photostats of photographs taken in Birmingham and I've been able to identify most of them. However, this one is still a mystery - can anyone say where it is please?

Johnson's Garage .jpg

Hi Lady P. I've been looking for images of my great grandfathers brother Thomas Edward Johnson's garage with no luck.
This could be his garage at 44 Sutton Rd Erdington.

His residence was Wilmot House at same address, I think you see it in the background.

Wilmot House  44 Sutton Rd Erdington.jpg

Last edited:
1961 phone book has 2 Johnson's garages listed
Station Road Knowle (have to say that sprang to mind when I saw the picture but I don'tthink it is that).

Tyburn Road (no number given)

No entry for Robinson and Webb.
Do you have a rough date Pen?

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
1961 phone book has 2 Johnson's garages listed
Station Road Knowle (have to say that sprang to mind when I saw the picture but I don'tthink it is that).

Tyburn Road (no number given)

No entry for Robinson and Webb.
Do you have a rough date Pen?
The Johnson's garage in Tyburn Rd (corner of Wood Lane) is where Thomas Johnson moved to when his garage in Sutton Rd was demolished for redevelopment around the late 50's

Hi Janice,

Thanks for your input. I believe these photos were taken in the early 60's or even late 50's. I've got an idea that they were to do with the redevelopment of the area and were photocopies (possibly under-the-counter) from some council office.

Penny

Thank you RRJ. I thought the 'cottage' in the background looked remarkably like Wilmot House and you have confirmed it. I have been researching the family who I think built it, the Edials.

• Appreciate
Thank you RRJ. I thought the 'cottage' in the background looked remarkably like Wilmot House and you have confirmed it. I have been researching the family who I think built it, the Edials.
Thank you Lady P.
I wrote a piece about T.E. Johnson in the Petrol pump and filling stations thread saying I had no images of either of his garage's. Would you be happy with me adding you garage image to that thread.?

Thanks Janice, that really puts a date on the move and photo. Wonderful.

RRJ. That's absolutely fine by me but I don't know who it belongs to. Suspect it's the council but as I've fallen out with them at the moment I really don't care!

Having said I didn't have images of his garages, Lady P has posted an image of his garage at 44 Sutton Rd.
Just the Tyburn Rd garage to find now.

Many thanks @Lady Penelope

Screenshot (618).png

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
If the Tyburn Road garage was where Vanarama is today it's 587 Tyburn Road.

Can anyone help with an image of the Tyburn Road garage premises please ? Viv.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Back