• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Johnny Dixon

Mrs T

Proud To Be A Brummie.
ASTON Villa’s 1957 FA Cup-winning skipper Johnny Dixon has died at the age of 85.
Dixon played for Villa from 1945 until his retirement in 1961, making 430 appearances and scoring 144 goals.
Karl Cort of the Former Players Association said: “In recent years Johnny had suffered from Alzheimers disease and passed away in a care home in Tamworth.”

*Birmingham Mail*

Thats a sad day Mrs T, he was my hero all those years ago thanks for the memories Johnny RIP

A Very Sad Day Indeed. I met Johnny and the rest of the Villa team in the Co-Op in High Street in 1957. He was a favourite of mine alond with Peter Mc.Parland, Jimmy Dugdale and Gerry Hitchens. Johnny would always chat to you in his shop at The Yenton.

Just got back from the Cat and Fiddle and heard the sad news on the tele. RIP. Johnny. Jean and Pete.

Sad Day - Lets hope it will not be another 50 years or more before a Villan lifts the FAC
WAK

Johnny Dixon was definitely a favourite hero in our family. The Villa team back then used to come to Witton Lakes Park near where I lived to run. We had a right of way next to our house which led to Witton Lakes and you could see them run by. Always a thrill. R.I.P. Johnny

If you go on to You Tube and search Aston Villa v Manchester United you can see 5 minutes of the 1957 game....

i lived in holte rd up to the age of 14 and played football all my capable life so johnny was a proper scoolboys football hero to me and everybody in our area i met him a couple times and watched him captian that f a cup winning side with great pride he was very modest and nice man and will be sadly missed god bless you and thanks for the memories johnny

MRS T
Many Thanks For Informing Us AllI Did Not Know Johny Personaly , But My Mother Told Me Of Johny And His Brother That Many YEARS Ago They Both Worked For My Grand Parents The Jelfs Coffee House Brigade And They Used To Do The Deliveryies For Them AROUND B,ham Tking Whole Sale Food Stuff And Deliverying All The Nessaryies,Like Silver For There Hire And Caterings And Dropping OffWatres,s In The Black And White Uniforms And Taking Provisions Around To Al There Thirty Three Shops They UsedTo Come To The Big Parties At New CANNALStreet Digbeth With ALL The Top Brass They Done This When It Was Out Of Foot Ball Season
She Said They Was Super People , May He RIP .ONCE Again Mrs T Many Thanks Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Hi

What a sad day. Although a blue nose spent years at home games
at Villa park. In those day's you could watch the
Blues one week and down Villa Park the next. 2/6 went a long way.
I never saw him foul a fellow player he alway's
got the ball fair and square. His distribution was if he had a 6th sense.
He alway's lived under the shadows of the Wolves defenders ie Clamp or Flowers for the Englandspot. A great cup win in 1957. A true gentleman lost.

Mike Jenks

We were so proud of that team, they gave us all some lovely Saturdays.
In '57 Johnny Dixon lived round the corner from our flat in The Broadway, and I used to see all the lads in the Municiple Bank in Witton getting their wages. As Jennyann said it was always a thrill to see them.

R.I.P. Johnny.

What a great player and wonderful bloke.

kept a shop on birmingham road wylde green, came from newcaslte i believe

what a sad day

God bless johnny, thanks for the memories,we met but one with the fa cup in 173 tower road but will never ever be forgoten, thoughts are with the family at this time
rip

Hi

Terrible news now Vic Crowe has just died. 76 years of age.
He was one of the hardest tacklers in the game. A human
dynamo a defender through and through. Took Villa from the Third
Division in the early 70's has Manager.

Mike Jenks

STATZWAK John Thomas DIXON
B Hebburn-on-Tyne Started playing as an amateur 1944 -until May 1961
Signed from Spennymoor 430 matches and 144 goals Official trainer July 64 - May 67
Last man to raise the F.A. Cup for the Villa

Dixon's brother Ernie was a rep for the HP Sauce Company and used to regularly visit the offices where I worked as a buyer in Great Barr.
He was always ready to talk football and was always so proud of his brother's achievements.
Ernie played football himself and was a centre half at Newcastle although I don't think he ever made the senior team and retired from football prematurely through injury.

Back