• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Walsh Walsh

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
John Walsh Walsh ( -1864)

John Walsh Walsh has been, as far as I can tell, only been mentioned a couple of times on the Forum. Once in connection with the Glass Industry, and the other on a thread with his name, but little detail. Seeking information about the chap I looked in a book written by E Edwards in 1877, and I think JW Walsh deserves his mention with the famous! Below is an abridged version of what the book tells us...

The towering figure of John Walsh Walsh, with massive head and fringe of wavy hair, was born in Mansfield and named in the peculiar way as one of the Baptism sponsors, when asked what to name the boy said "John Walsh," and so the infant became John Walsh Walsh.... He would say that the name was worth hundreds a year to him in Business. "Anybody can be John Walsh, but John Walsh Walsh, once heard was never forgotten."

He first worked for Pickford and Co. Then, seeing that the use of aerated beverages could become general, he left and started the manufacture of soda water. In partnership with Mr Nelson, at Leamington, he started manufacture, by patent process, of artificial isinglass and gelatine. Besides these, he had a mustard mill, was an extensive dealer in cigars, and was for many years with Mr Jeffries in the manufacture of marine glue. In 1851 he took over a glass manufactory in Hill Street, which he converted into a great success. The growing business was removed to the extensive works at Lodge Road.

For some years he was a member of the Birmingham Town Council, and must be remembered for his work to induce the Council to buy Aston Park for the town when its price was low. But his name will probably longer held in rememberence in connections with the colossal fetes at Aston Park in 1856; he was the originator, and to the success of which he devoted himself...The idea had been hatched at the Woodman Inn in Easy Row, during discussions about Aston Park and also the financial situation of the Queen's Hospital. "Why not borrow the Park and give a pic-nic for the hospital?"

It was no pic-nic, it was such a fete as Birmingham had never witnessed, and would not readily forget! The fete was held on the 28 July, and as the day approached it was evident from the sale of tickets that the attendance would far exceed expectations, and another 25,000 tickets were ordered.

"As noon approached train after train deposited at Aston Station hundreds and thousands of gaily-attired Black Country people. Special trains ran from New Street as fast as they could be got to order; all the approaches to the park were crammed with serried lines, three or four abreast, omnibus, carriages, carts, cabs, and every other imaginable vehicle; whilst thousands upon thousands of dusty pedestrians jostled each other in the crowded roads...until at length the number of persons within the grounds exceeded the enormous total of fifty thousands!"

Platforms for dancing, and pavilions for musicians...beyond in the valley a long range of poles and skeleton forms showed where the fireworks were in preparation. Down in the corner stood a large stack of firewood through which, the "Fire-King" was to pass uninjured. Swings, merry-go-rounds...

...suddenly a sound like that of roaring waves deepened and increased in volume...it was the noise of laughter simultaneously from fifty thousand people..from a mysterious looking shed John Inshaw launched a balloon shaped like a pig! Piggy rose majestically over the vast sea of upturned faces...but at length (Piggy) apparently disgusted at being so much laughed at, started off in the direction of Coleshill, and, to the intense amusement of everybody, persited in travellling tail foremost...

...Then came the fireworks! No such display had ever before been seen in the Midland Counties. The flights of the rockets, the marvellously-ingenious set pieces, and the wonderful blue lights, gave intense delight....but the climax was reached when, as a finale, the words SAVE ASTON HALL came out in glowing fire...And, amid the congratulations of everybody, the first of the Aston fetes came to an end.

[More was to come, in September the crowd was 90,000 and the Hospital received another £1,770.

I believe that the firm John Walsh Walsh at Lodge Road continued trading until about 1951?]

Hello, I have never ever tried to do a message on a forum or used this type of technology, please be patient with me. I hail from New Zealand and John Walsh Walsh is my Great, great, great, grandfather. He ran the Soho and Vesta Glassworks in Lodge Road, Birmingham from 1850. My Grandfather, W.G. Riley ran it until it closed in 1951. I found on a thread by a chap calling himself 'Pedrocut' dated 23 Sept 2016 that he had found information on John Walsh Walsh in a book by E Edwards written in 1877. He posted an abridged version of the account of my forebear, but I'd love to find the full version or indeed a copy of that book; I am unsure of the book's title.
Any help would be most eagerly accepted. If I can ask such an obscure question and receive feedback then this is truly an amazing tool! Very many thanks in anticipation of help.
Jingers.

I have moved the last post to this thread. Possibly Pedrocut could give a reference to the book Jingers is seeking

Hello Carolina, how fantastic! What were the names of your uncle and cousin? And what dates were they employed there? I am so enthralled by this forum system. Yesterday, I knew very little of who John Walsh Walsh was and any details let alone photographs. I would very much like to get copies of any existing informal photographs of the daily running of the Glassworks, and to know names of people in those photos really is the ultimate. Do you have any others?
My sister who is more internet savvy than I found John Walsh Walsh was born in 1805 in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, the son of John Walsh.
Apparently he bought the glassworks because he was a soda water manufacturer and wanted to produce his own bottles. From there it became a very high quality glass manufacturer. The name William Clyne Farquharson crops up alot too, he was Chief Designer in the 1930s producing some very lovely cut glass. I still have some table-glass with his signature on the base.
Once again, thank you so much for this contact.

The Book was Personal Recollections of Birmingham Men by E. Edwards in 1877.
Available to read via guttenberg.

Both were called Edwin born 1901 and 1927 - my cousin is still alive. This is the Birmingham Mail write up that the photo was taken from. Sorry its not very clear. 1595085160188.png

1595085274656.png

Attachments

• 1595085157177.png
    1595085157177.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Thank you Pedrocut for your help. I'm not sure what 'guttenberg' is but maybe some kind of 'online' library? I will investigate further, thanks again. It would be wonderful to learn more about this ancestor who I only have a charcoal portrait of.
Carolina, thank you also. It looks like you have attached a copy of the photo and article I will get my sister to print it for me, thank you so much. My Grandfather, W.G. Riley died in 1980 when I was too young to have any interest in family history.

John Walsh-Walsh's Soho and Vesta Glass Works, deserves the greatest respect. It gave the Stourbridge glass manufacturers a run for their money and some of my ancestors worked there so it holds a place in my heart. I posted this potted history a few days ago on this board:
  • 1816 William Shakespear left the Islington glassworks and took into partnership Thomas Fletcher to build or buy the Soho works.
  • 1822 Thomas Fletcher left the firm.
  • 1833 run as Hannah Shakespear & Co.
  • 1850 John Walsh Walsh purchased factory from Samuel Shakespear
  • 1882 Lewis John Murray joins as manager
  • 1951 closed
The works employed some of the finest designers of the day including Clyne Farquharson and produced a prodigious output of the finest quality decorative glassware. I could post examples, but there are hundred of them for sale on the internet so there is no point.

However I will post one photo, because ever since the 1930s Walsh-Walsh has posed a problem for collectors of Georgian-period cut glass. Walsh-Walsh resurrected a style which had gone massively out of fashion in the Victorian era (John Ruskin said "all cut glass is barbarous"). But Walsh-Walsh made glass in the 1930s in the classic Georgian style and although they had no intention of "counterfeiting" Georgian-period glass a few aggrieved collectors have accused them of it. I think it is just a symbol of their astonishingly high capability.

Walsh-Walsh Georgian style glasses c1930.png

Back