• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Street Lozells

Cath
It is showing for me also, though, as i posted it, i am not quite in the same position. People have been able to see their own posts in the past when other forum members can't . Let me know if its still giving trouble

Cath
May be nothing, but by chance I came across this from Birmingham Post 8.9.1862, and a Maria Glew married to a William Glew , when you were interested in a Maria with a son William looked a bit more than a coincidence.

Birm_Post_8_9_1862.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the newspaper cutting that is great I had no idea there was a record of there marriage in the paper.
Cheers Cath

Hi, My name is Myriam and my grandmother was Margaret Elizabeth Glew. She lived at the Barley Mow in Mere Green as a child. Her parents were William and Rose Glew (Mullins). It is so exciting to read all of your posts. I am confused with so many William Glews! It is almost asthough Rose and Elizabeth were the same person because William and Elizabeth my Nan was born in 1913 so it would tie in. Could she have been Elizabeth Rose Mullins? Out of interest, what is your link to the family? Perhaps we are related?? Thanks, Myriam
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the newspaper cutting that is great I had no idea there was a record of there marriage in the paper.
Cheers Cath

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has found any photographs of The Sportsman Inn I was looking for.
I am visiting the library in a few weeks, do you know if they have pub records/photographs
available to view ?

Thanks Cath

Hi
Just wanted to know if anyone has come across a photo of the sportman inn pub which was in John Street as I haven't been able to find one as yet ?
Thanks Cath

hi cath ive been after a photo for ages of that pub but no luck so far...will post if i do find you one

lyn

Hi
Just wanted to know if anyone has come across a photo of the sportman inn pub which was in John Street as I haven't been able to find one as yet ?
Thanks Cath

Hi Cath,
I have an ancestor by the name of John Hodges who was a Beer Retailer, resident at 39 John Street in the 1881 census.
We were always told he ran a pub called The Jockey in Aston, but I can find no mention of this name except for the Horse & Jockey in Wheeler Street. Perhaps the name changed when your ancestors took over?
Bill

My Great aunt and uncle, Charlie and Cis Bradley lived at 39a John St. Not sure when they moved in but they were there in 1939 and Until their deaths in 1960s. I used to visit with my Mum and Nan in the 50s and 60s. I had heard that it used to be a pub but know nothing more about the house. Is there a photo of the pub anywhere?

My ancestor John Hodges was only at 39 John Street for the 1881 census, and was a Japanner for most of his life, although for some reason the family story always focussed on him running a pub. In 1891 he had moved to 91 Shakespeare Road and died that year. I too would really like to see a photo of The Sportsman.
1881 Census, Warwickshire>Aston>Erdington>District1 Slide 33 of 47. Also mentions James Baker of No47 (the Queens Arms on the corner) as a Licensed Victualler

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Bill
The 1880, 1882,1883 and 1884 Kelly directories (which probably refer to 1879- 1883) list John Hodges as a beer retailer at 39 John St. It is not him in the 1879 or 1888 editions. It was quite common then for small beerhouses to be run by the wife (or some other relation, while the registered licensee pursued his main trade. This often resulted in the census not necessarily listing the place as a pub (htough sometimes this could be inferred by occupation listed for the wife

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Back