• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Rogers

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi viv ..... how strange that i was down digbeth way yesterday snapping away with my camera taking pics of the unculvated river rea etc....john rogers bust maybe lost forever but there is a blue plaque for him on the bull ring trading estate building which was the site of st johns church..the alter of the church was about 17 feet in front of the plaque so most likely where i was standing

lyn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1szg7eWSgTXaiFRYMu8NC1DQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

DIGBETH AREA JULY 2017 030.JPG

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
hi viv your post 5 re john rogers...how strange that i was down digbeth way yesterday snapping away with my camera taking pics of the unculvated river rea etc....john rogers bust maybe lost forever but there is a blue plaque for him on the bull ring trading estate building which was the site of st johns church..the alter of the church was about 17 feet in front of the plaque so most likely where i was standing

lyn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1szg7eWSgTXaiFRYMu8NC1DQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

View attachment 116019
Thanks for the update Lyn. At least there's recognition of the man. Not too surprising that the bust has vanished from St John's Church with the WW2 damage followed by the demolition of the church. Viv.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi viv i guess its always possible that the bust was destroyed during WW2 bombing of the church...

lyn

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some info attached below about the John Rogers bust from when it was first conceived in 1870 and its location after WW2. Seems Aston Church or St Basils in Deritend are possible locations. There’s a bust and a commemorative tablet - somewhere in either of those churches. Viv.

Attachments

Les Will

Hi Viv and Lyn,
Thanks to your detective work, I have been able to track down the bust. It's in Aston Parish Church, properly called the Church of St Peter and St Paul, in Witton Lane, B6 6QA. I found pictures and a description at this website: www.speel.me.uk/sculptplaces/bhamaston.htm if you wanted to check it out. I'll be going to see it for myself soon, but it's just good to know it has not been lost.

Les

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was the bust in situ when it was in St Johns Church, Deritend. Image from the Shoothill site. Viv.

8C6C2C12-050C-459B-972E-2041BC16A8B3.jpeg