• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Rabone & Sons of Hockley rulers tapes and tools

Hi all, my late brother Ron Jones worked at Rabones as an electrical fitter in the mid 50s he often spoke about his time there, he emigrated to Australia in the 60s,and would always remember with great affection some of the people he new and worked with at Rabones, as they say you can take the man out of Brum but you can never take Brum out of the man. RIP, Ron.

A few snippets of info from the internet:

1963 John Rabone and Sons, of Whitmore Street, Birmingham, merged with James Chesterman and Co, toolmakers of Sheffield, and the name was changed to Rabone Chesterman.

1970 they acquired another tool maker, Fry's (London).

1989, Stanley Tools, one of the Great White sharks of tool empires, purchased the assets of Rabone Chesterman from Bardsey PLC (now dissolved). Since then, the name has disappeared from their product lines.

I still have an old Rabone 2ft. Folding, boxwood rule. Superbly made.

This must be several decades old, but the original quality still shines through.

Steve.

The Rabone wooden ruler was an essential part of every builder’s tool kit, we even had a special pocket in the leg of our overalls to keep one in.

Sorry to revive this old thread, my names Joe...Rabone, I'm currently looking for some old John Rabone & Sons Catalogs (Physical or digital) for something I'm trying to put together, but cant seem to find any anywhere, the odd one pops up on eBay but once in a blue moon, does anyone have anything they could share?

My wife had a year between Drama School (Birmingham school of speech training and dramatic art) and starting her nurse training and worked in the cost office there in Hockley. She's often said it was the best job she ever had in many ways, the staff were wonderful and the woman who ran the office took my young wife to be under her wing.

RC 1 (Large).jpg

My dad, Cyril Woodfield worked at Rabones, as did some of his brothers, including Ray, and Norman Woodfield. Dad worked in steel rules first, then the packing department - I have several photos of him packing 'Collico' Cases for British rail, and several of him with staff and at works do's. I worked once in the summer holidays for six weeks in an office. I can remember Works Christmas parties for the kids, and annual trips to Blackpool Illuminations in November, where my mum and dad moved in 1970, to run a guest house. Cyril also played in the works football team.
Should I try to to post these photos here?

Welcome to the forum.
We always like photos so please do post them. You might need to reduce their size. If you need help then there are some instructions here

Thanks for jogging my memory. I know that when I get to sorting out my late Dad's tool box I will find two rulers just like those. However, I have already come across these two. The one on the right is feet and inches and the other is metric.

Attachments

• rabone rulers.jpg
    rabone rulers.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 2
My daughter and son-in-law have just spent Sunday turning out my garage for me and have come across an old spirit level made by John Rabone & Sons (Warranty corrected) in its old soft metal storage tube (cap missing). It's a lovely piece of work, if old and dirty and much better workmanship than anything made today:

Attachments

• DSC02727 (3).JPG
    DSC02727 (3).JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 10
Back