• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Mead's Shoe Shop, 7 Edward Road B12

Alexander Rawlins

knowlegable brummie
Thanks to Val at Balsall Heath Local History Society, here is a pic of John Mead's shoe shop at 7 Edward Road circa 1906/7. I did not know this pic existed until today.

John, my gr gr uncle, is in the doorway with his eldest daughter Bertha Eliza, my first cousin twice removed.

The man to the right is believed to be my gr gr grandfather and John's father, George Mead. George was German and his real name was Martin Georg Adolf Conrad Meyer. He had left Hannover in 1863 aged 14 and signed up for the German Marine. He jumped ship in New York and found his way to England, moving to Brum in 1868.

George never naturalised and spent his life on the run, using at least 5 different names. Along with his German wife, he was forced to register as an Enemy Alien in 1914. George died in 1922.

Attachments

• shop 1.jpeg
    shop 1.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 28
You might like to see a much later photo of the shop, after it was taken over by Paynes. I often passed by this shop and knew it well. This photo is dated 1952 and by the early 60's the whole corner had been replaced by a car sales showroom.

Edward Road.jpg

Oh wow, thank you? John Mead died in 1947 and I have not yet figured out until when he kept the shop. Any idea when Paynes tok it over?

In the years up to 1943 the shop is listed to a John Mead, from then it is listed to a Francis Hill until 1946 when it is listed to Harry H Payne, I didn't look any further than that.

Thsnk you. 1943 is an important year in the Mead family as that's when John's youngesr sister died,;leaving her husbsnd and their 21-year old daughter in George Mead's former house.

Back