• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Martin 1881-1914

Jayell

master brummie
I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment. I am reading the Ancestry WW1 Service Records of my gt.uncle, John Martin, who died in action at Braisne in France in 1914. There are 76 pages of information and it is all very emotional. I never knew what happened to him as he died when my Mom was a baby. His family lived at 7 x 25 Ct. Clifton Road, but he had just married Florence Way a year earlier and their home was at 49 Gt. Brook Street, Ashted. I feel so sad in reading all this correspondence - even letters from him mother asking what had happened to him after he had been wounded as they had no more information from the War Office.

Last edited:
Hello Judy,

I can understand you feeling emotional. I'm pleased that you've been able to find some information on your uncle. I've found my great uncle's medal card - he died in 1916 but, as yet, haven't been able to trace service records for him, or my grandfather. I'm not giving up though!

Wendy

Yes Wendy, it was a very emotional experience. I should have said it was my 'great' uncle, not my uncle. I have been trying to find out what happened to members of my mother's family for many years now, without success, and then out of the blue came 76 pages of information on John!! Apparently he was severely injured by a shell to the stomach and was hospitalised in France, where he died. Unfortunately after the first notification that he was injured the family had no more information sent to them, and over the next 6 months there was much correspondence between them and the War Office trying to find out what happened to him. At one point they were told he had recovered and had rejoined his regiment in France. The truth was that he had died within a month of receiving his injuries.

I hope you have luck in finding the service records you are looking for. My husband has been unable to find his grandfather either, but he keeps on looking. Good luck :)

Judy

Judy it must have been very emotional to read. I have to say you are also quite lucky as only one in three records survive for the men of the first world war. It sometimes pays to put details in your family tree. My husbands grandfather died at the Somme and I put the info on Genes Reunited. We were contacted by a man who knew the whereabouts of his medals. They are now back in the family! so don't give up.

It certainly was Wendy. I have also been lucky again with John Martin's brother, who was Owen Martin. I have just found him. Only 23 pages this time!! But most were almost impossible to read as they were so faint. Still I found out that he was discharged as being medically unfit after 6 years, and a marvellous surprise - his death certificate was included amongst the papers. He died in 1912.

Another member of the family found!

As for Genes Reunited, well you never know what might turn up if you put your information in there. I have had a subscription for some time with them, and have found some amazing information about another member of my family, but that's another story!

Judy

Hello Judy,

I can understand you feeling emotional. I'm pleased that you've been able to find some information on your uncle. I've found my great uncle's medal card - he died in 1916 but, as yet, haven't been able to trace service records for him, or my grandfather. I'm not giving up though!

Wendy
Hi Wendy try writing to : Amy Personnel Centre PHONE 0141 224 2826
Civil Secretariat
Historical Disclosures Military (9) 45612826
Mail Point 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
GLASGOW G2 8EX
brian

Hi wendy
try army personnel centre
civil secretariat
historic disclosures
mail point 400
kentigern house
65 brown street
glasgow
g2 8ex
phone 0141 224 2826

Sorry, by Kentigern House will not have records for a man who died in 1916. They only have them for soldiers who were still in service in 1921 and beyond.

Back