• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Leland and the Deritend Chapel 1538

Thylacine

master brummie
Thanks Lyn and Dennis. This conjectural 1553 map of Birmingham (after James Hill) shows the St Johns Chapel, the "Golden Lion" almost next door, and the "Old Crown" on the other side of the High Street.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Thylacine

master brummie
... the timber framed house of the Clergy, also used as a school for the Guild of St. John the Baptist of Deritend ...
It would be very interesting to learn more about the early history of this building (which we're calling the "Golden Lion") and its relationship to the St Johns Chapel.

According to Lyn's picture (post #60), it was built in about 1600, more that two centuries after the chapel. Does this mean that there was an earlier building on the site (or nearby)?

Help please ...

Radiorails

master brummie
Maybe moving the building to Cannon Hill has preserved it existence. Given the bombing raids of WW2 there was a good chance the building might have been destroyed. ;)

I have read the thread with interest. When passing through Deritend and Digbeth (but usually the Midland Red was my focus of attention here), usually on the upper deck of a bus nearly sixty years ago, I always found the buildings of great interest.
Similarly much of the older buildings still to be seen outside cities can be of great interest. I used to cycle to Henley-in-Arden often: usually taking a rural route rather than the main roads. There were many old structures to be seen. But that was when roads were not jam packed as they are today. :D

Thylacine

master brummie
Maybe moving the building to Cannon Hill has preserved it existence. Given the bombing raids of WW2 there was a good chance the building might have been destroyed ...
Very good point, Alan. The chapel itself was fatally damaged in the blitz.

[I'm pleased to hear that you're finding the thread interesting.]

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Presumably this is the original chapel. This claims to be a 14th century view. Hard to imagine Deritend once looking like the drawing. Viv.

6C142511-6AB0-4CAB-B769-047F85B00539.jpeg