• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Hibbard

There are a few trees on Ancestry relating to the Hibbards.
Hi sue, my mom had a son by Higgins in 1936, called Derek, on all the msgs I've had, he's never been mentioned. He was living with my mom at arley road, when in 1947, he had an accident, and was found dead, apparently he had put some rope around his neck, Playing! cowboys and Indians , slipped with the rope around his neck. He's buried at St saviours Church yard, Alum Rock.

John Hibbard married Elizabeth Vessey in 1864 in Sheffield.

He was born about 1837 in Yorkshire
Hi sue, my mom had a son by Higgins in 1936, called Derek, on all the msgs I've had, he's never been mentioned. He was living with my mom at arley road, when in 1947, he had an accident, and was found dead, apparently he had put some rope around his neck, Playing! cowboys and Indians , slipped with the rope around his neck. He's buried at St saviours Church yard, Alum Rock.
I know St Saviours very well as I used to live opposite the church in Ash Road. We used to play in the churchyard when we were young, go through a gap in the broken cast iron railings.

I know St Saviours very well as I used to live opposite the church in Ash Road. We used to play in the churchyard when we were young, go through a gap in the broken cast iron railings.
Hi sue, so that's where my dad got his middle name, vessey, it was his mums maiden name . I've made enquiries about the church yard, and apparently it's not in to bad a shape, so that's a plus. I live in Scotland, but I'm coming to BHAM, in the next couple of months, so I'm going to see if he has a headstone, we shall see. Really appreciate all the info, this site is brilliant. Thanks again. D

Hi sue, so that's where my dad got his middle name, vessey, it was his mums maiden name . I've made enquiries about the church yard, and apparently it's not in to bad a shape, so that's a plus. I live in Scotland, but I'm coming to BHAM, in the next couple of months, so I'm going to see if he has a headstone, we shall see. Really appreciate all the info, this site is brilliant. Thanks again. D
No it was his Grandmother's maiden name, not his mother's. Your john's mother was Emma Tracey. I do not live in Birmingham now, but I think you may find a headstone for Derek, although you may have a job as it is a pretty bag place (or was). I wonder if there is a plan and transcription of any of the inscriptions on the gravestones. I lived in a village and a local genealogy group were making plans of all the local grave yards. Not sure who would know, maybe the archives which I think are held in the library in the centre of Birmingham. As you do have access to a computer, just do a search (in Google?)_ for John Vessey Hibbard and see what comes up. There is quite a lot of stuff on the recent Hibbards including a John Vessey who died age 25 during WW2. You might find something of interest.

If you have a look at the Saltley & Alum Rock you should find a photograph that was taken from the tower of the church. It shows the flats I used to live in and you can also see some of the graveyard too. If you cannot find it let me know as I do have it somewhere and I will see if I can remember how to include photos in my postings.

hi David
on a lite note that maybe interesting
I lived in Birmingham in the late 50's then moved to Australia in 59
in 1963 we met and became good friends with 2 families called Hibbard
my youngest brother then married a girl called Sue Hibbard from one of these families
who had a brother David Hibbard, a cousin of his Bruce Hibbard has been a life long friend to our family
one of Bruce Hibbard's Sisters married my best Friend
The Hibbard Name has played a big part in our lives
Barry

hi David
on a lite note that maybe interesting
I lived in Birmingham in the late 50's then moved to Australia in 59
in 1963 we met and became good friends with 2 families called Hibbard
my youngest brother then married a girl called Sue Hibbard from one of these families
who had a brother David Hibbard, a cousin of his Bruce Hibbard has been a life long friend to our family
one of Bruce Hibbard's Sisters married my best Friend
The Hibbard Name has played a big part in our lives
Barry
Hi Barry, thank you for the reply.. The Hibbards you are talking about, might be a distant relative of mine, I'm just exploring the family tree,( I've just started). All the Hibbards that I know are from Nottinghamshire, we didn't have any relatives from the Birmingham area. So it's quite possible, as I've said they might be relatives from Notts.. I'll keep you posted OK. Cheers Dave

Hi David I have sent you a message regarding Derek please feel free to message me as I may be able to help you

Back