• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Henry Chamberlain, architect

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Following on from the thread on the Grove (Harborne), I thought to would be nice to pull together pictures and information on the significant buildings from John Henry Chamberlain (June 21, 1831 – October 22, 1883).

Here is a short list of buildings he designed. It is not an exhautive list, simply a starting point for the thread:
  • 12 Ampton Road (Shenstone House), Edgbaston - Chamberlain's first house; 'the first High Victorian house in the town'
  • Whetstone, Farquahar Rd, Edgbaston [and many other similar mansions in Edgbaston]
  • The Grove, Harborne, Birmingham (Demolished, one room preserved as "The Harborne Room"
  • Highbury Hall, Moseley, Birmingham.
  • Oozells Street Board School (now the Ikon Gallery), Brindleyplace, Birmingham City Centre.
  • Shakespeare Memorial Room in Birmingham Central Library (1882)
  • Birmingham School of Art, Margaret Street, Birmingham. (1881) Designed by Chamberlain but completed by William Martin on Chamberlain's death.
  • Edgbaston Waterworks buildings designed with William Martin (1870)

Attached is a picture of Whetstone. This stood at the junction of Somerset Road and Farquhar Road, Edgbastonand backed onto the canal. It was designed as John Henry Chamberlain's own residence. Picure taken at the start of 20th century. House demolished in 1960s to make way for Whetstone Close.

Attachments

• whetstone house.jpg
    whetstone house.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Leslam what a great piece of information thanks for the thread very interesting. I knew John Henry Chamberlain was a great Birmingham Architect but didn't know his involvement in all the buildings you have mentioned.

Just found a whole section on Martin & Chamberlain in "Victorian Buildings of Birmingham" by Roy Thornton. The list of buildings that this partnership are responsible for is staggering. I will try to add more information and pictures.

Chamberlain was not just interested in architecture, but was the honorary secretary of the Midland Institute in 1865- 83, was largely responsible for its expansion. He gave 7 lectures to them over the years. Below is a facsimile of a woodcut distributed at a meeting in 1866, and written by Chamberlain (I apologise for the quality , but it had to be scanned in two parts from an attachment to a book). It is supposedly him in the picture. He was the architect for the Institute building and returned his fees for the building to the institute.
"Victorian buildings of Birmingham" by Roy Thornton lists many buildings for which Martin & Chamberlain were responsible, but , unfortunately does not, in most cases, state which were Chamberlain's work in particular
Mike

pamphletconversazione1866A.jpg

Love the woodcut Mike. Gives very clear messages on the value of education. It always pleasantly surprises me that some Victorians (and in particular Birmingham Victorians) had the ability to turn their hands to a vast range of things. It's interesting that there were lots of enquiring and open minded people amongst them, successfully developing and supporting new enterprises. But this was all within a society that was quite rigid and inflexible. Like the thread and love to see more pics. Viv.

John Henry Chamberlain was born in Leicester, the son of a Baptist minister. He was a follower of Ruskin and trustee of Ruskin's St George's Guild.

12 Ampton Road was his first house, built in 1855 for a relative, John Eld. It appears to have caused a few ripples as it was quite a departure from other architecture of that period.
The attached picture of the Ampton Road house comes from Andy Foster's version of Pevsner's Birmingham.
JHC also designed Eld's gothic shop in Union Street (1862), later demolished.

JHC's public roles included:
Professor of Architecture at Queen's College
Chairman of the School of Art Committee
Secretary of Midland Institute (as illustrated by Mike above)
Secreatry of the Archaeological Society
Magistrate

Martin and Chamberlain were responsible for about 41 Birmingham Board Schools as well. I have somewhere in my paperwork an article mentioning them all. I will try and find it but no guarantees as I have so many files!

Les, what I was speaking about is a large article, about 6 pages if I remember rightly, but I simply cannot find it. It gave more information, and showed pics of Smith Street School, Camden Street School and I also think Icknield Street as well. I think that Ellen Street was also in there, too.

Roy Thornton's "victorian Buildings of Birmingham" lists the 51 schools built by the the Birmingham School Board byn 1902, and states that only those at Soho road, Cromwell st, Burbury St and Handsworth New Road were not b uilt by them, though those completed after 1900 were listed under Martin & Martin, the new name of the practice.
mike

Attached is a picture of Whetstone. This stood at the junction of Somerset Road and Farquhar Road, Edgbastonand backed onto the canal. It was designed as John Henry Chamberlain's own residence. Picure taken at the start of 20th century. House demolished in 1960s to make way for Whetstone Close.
This is only pic of Whetstone House I can find. Quaker.Henry Whittaker, whom I knew, is in-frame. He bought the house in 1940.

Attachments

• Henry Whittaker Whetstone House.jpeg
    Henry Whittaker Whetstone House.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 24
Back