• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Winglet John & Harriott

jpritcha

proper brummie kid
Good Evening to you all Hope you are well, haven't posted for awhile, I move from one ancestor to another. I am connected to the John and Harriott Wigley from Ladywood Birmingham, haven't found out much about them. John Wigley was a Commercial Clerk when he died in 1842, and Harriott died in Hanley Castle in 1848 aged 46 its so sad they were both very young. The eldest son John Wigley is with the younger children in the 1851 Census. I still haven't found John Wigley's baptism around 1796-1842, another John Wigley came from Scotland and lived in the same area Ladywood Birmingham I was very excited thinking that he may have come from Scotland. John's son George Henry Wigley and 3 small children and wife Miriam Wigley (Cross) were married in the Old Church Stratford in 18/7/1858 they came out to New South Wales onboard the vessel Netherby which sank on Kings Island no lives were lost, they were heading for Brisbane. Their was a mention of a Bible but it was never found perhaps it was on the ship. I have all the records here, one of sons was a surgical instrument worker. Hoping someone remembers them and their children would love to connect with them. Be safe and stay healthy.

Regards,
Janet Pritchard (nee Smith etc.):):cool:

Are there any significant witnesses on John Wigley & Harriet Porter's marriage?

And I assume the aunt and niece with their son John in 1851 are relatives of his mother.

If no clues from either of the above then very tricky to find the elder John. The 1841 doesn't list another birth country for him which should imply that he was born in England but that's not always the case.

Thanks for your help Pedrocut and pjmburns, MWS I have John and Harrietts marriage and the witnesses are listed above, on the 1841 Census it states that John 45 was a Clerk not born in County of Birmingham. The Aunt listed with son of John Wigley is not connected to the family I searched her records she was a helper when John and Harriott passed away. John being a Clerk was also searched not many I came across with this trade.:(
Thanks, Janet

Good Morning, hope you are all well and safe. Just checking the posts, still trying to find John Wigley, Harriott's family who lived at ladywood, any past neighbours remember them etc. Would love to connect with anyone from that time when they lived there.
Regards,
Janet Pritchard

Good Morning all, thanks for your help, hope you are all well. I am back on searching for John Wigley again, but this time its another person who married a MaryAnn Smith on the 23/7/1820 St. Martins Birmingham, (the same place) as the previous John Wigley. This John Wigley was in the 1841 Census, trade Bronze Maker, place of birth was listed Ireland, Scotland and Foreign Part, also MaryAnn was the same. This family also settled in Ladywood Birmingham, their children listed were very much the same, and their trades, Bronze Maker, Sword Maker, tools etc. I would like to know what is born out of County, back then was Birmingham and Warwickshire close together, in the same County. Would love to find this family the two John Wigley's listed above must have been related in someway, is their a list of people who lived in Ladywood Birmingham. Looking forward to anyone who new them in someway.
Regards,
Janet Pritchard (Australia)

I would like to know what is born out of County, back then was Birmingham and Warwickshire close together, in the same County.
Good morning. Just to answer one part of your question.
Birmingham is a city and Warwickshire was its historic county. So "out of county" would mean born outside Warwickshire.

Good Morning, my ancestor John Wigley, who married Harriett Porter in 1824 St. Martins Birmingham Warwickshire in the 1841 Census in the Parish of Birmingham, the Borough of Birmingham it has a N next to his name, so does this mean he wasn't bap.or born in Birmingham? sorry to find this hard. Harriett Porter was born in Birmingham.
Regards,
Janet

Don't worry about asking - I think the 1841 census is the least helpful. As the census does not record baptisms the N must relate to bring born in the county.
I think ( but need to check) it is county not city. So if you are on a page with Warwickshire as the county it refers to there. You would need to find him, if possible, on 1851 census to see where he said he was born.

The 1841 Census was in Birmingham with John Wigley and family wife Harriett and children, the couple were't alive in the 1851 census, John died in 1842 and Harriett 1848 Hanley Castle. The N was in the column that said Whether born in same County next to John Wigley's name.
Regards,
Janet

There are three options for birthplace on the 1841 census - Y, N or a different country. The last could be anything from Scotland or Ireland to something more exotic like USA or Russia.

The Y and N should relate to the county of birth. Y if you were born in the same county you were residing and N if you weren't. For most places this should have been quite straightforward but for places that straddle more than one county or are exclaves within another county this becomes less accurate.

It probably also relied upon how the recorder asked the question.

Back