• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John & Fanny Williams

A 1914 marriage certificate from St. John's, Sparkhill is in the County of Worcester. So would that have been Yardley?
I thought that Yardley became part of Birmingham in 1911? Perhaps the vicar just wrote in Worcester out of habit?
It seems that the Spark brook/Stoney Lane was the boundary of Yardley so Clifton Rd would have been outside of Yardley. But then I read that in twelfth century Yardley church was a chapelry of Aston.

Did her brother Alfred marry in Monmouthshire (Chepstow) ? If so possible wider connections which would make it harder.

If it was me (and I was completely stuck) I'd buy her birth certificate first to learn her dob and search the 1939 register with that. At the least you'd be spending money on something that's certainly hers.
Birth cert ordered. Used "Free BDM" to search for details, easier to use than Ancestry in some ways.
Spent a while puzzling over a "Harsanet Williams" in a Ancestry search, checked original document and it turned out to be "Howard Williams". A bit more than a typo by the transcriber.

There doesn't seem to be a single Florence Margaret/Maggie Williams in Bham on the 1939 register and she's not with the family on the 1935 ER. Which would seem to narrow the search down for her marriage or death but none of the Bham ones seem probable.
Well, I now have birth certificate, but no leap forward (as far as I can see). DOB 3/10/1895. Parents check out as hoped for. Birth in Kings Norton, 13, Kingsley Rd. Balsall Heath.

Searched the 1939 register for a Florence with the dob. There were 2 Florence M's but neither appear to be her unfortunately. Then tried a couple of years either side also, again nothing panned out.

Not as helpful as I'd hoped it would be.

Searched the 1939 register for a Florence with the dob. There were 2 Florence M's but neither appear to be her unfortunately. Then tried a couple of years either side also, again nothing panned out.

Not as helpful as I'd hoped it would be.

Snap - I did the same.
Thanks to you both for looking. Even on formal documents she was known as "Maggie" but I still can't find her on 1939 census. I suppose she may have died after '30 ER and before 39 census.
Interesting to see links with a variety of addresses in area from the marriage certificate, birth certificate, 1911, 1901 census etc. Almost certainly confirms that great grandmother's maiden name was Hatton. I notice another researcher suggest Watkins.

Probably able to narrow down her 'disappearance' with the full ERs but unless she happened to marry and live there for a time it wouldn't be really help.

There's a mention of John Williams' (I think) death in the Bham Mail 1944. Unfortunately it seems to just mention Mrs Williams and family rather than individual names.

I have a possible candidate.

I think it's been said that ERs can be a year out, so you may be listed for the year after you've left, which could mean that whatever happened to Florence may have happened in 1929.

If so there is a marriage for a Florence M Williams to a Horace Vickers Sep qtr 1929 Bham S.

On the 1939 register there is a Margaret F Vickers with a dob 3 Oct 1896 living on Main St Garforth with a Horace Vickers. It is a year out but it is one of the more common errors.

There is a death registered for Florence Margaret Vickers Mar qtr 1940 Tadcaster (which includes Garforth) aged listed as 44.

A few coincidences if it isn't her.

There's a mention of John Williams' (I think) death in the Bham Mail 1944. Unfortunately it seems to just mention Mrs Williams and family rather than individual names.
I do remember meeting my ggfather I would have thought I was older than three. But maybe? Any mention of leather trade?

If so there is a marriage for a Florence M Williams to a Horace Vickers Sep qtr 1929 Bham S.

On the 1939 register there is a Margaret F Vickers with a dob 3 Oct 1896 living on Main St Garforth with a Horace Vickers. It is a year out but it is one of the more common errors.

I saw that marriage and wondered. Horace was a grocery shop owner as well.

I guess it's worth a marriage certificate to verify your findings! Garforth, Tadcaster that's Leeds way isn't it?

I do remember meeting my ggfather I would have thought I was older than three. But maybe? Any mention of leather trade?

Doesn't appear to be, just a thank you for sympathy and flowers.

I guess it's worth a marriage certificate to verify your findings! Garforth, Tadcaster that's Leeds way isn't it?

Yes, not far from Leeds. I think it's a strong possibility but costs can soon mount up.

As the marriage is in Birmingham it is a good possibility.
I have a possible candidate.

I think it's been said that ERs can be a year out, so you may be listed for the year after you've left, which could mean that whatever happened to Florence may have happened in 1929.

There is a death registered for Florence Margaret Vickers Mar qtr 1940 Tadcaster (which includes Garforth) aged listed as 44.

No coincidence!
Marriage certificate shows marriage at St. Johns, Sparkhill September 16th. 1929. Her father my ggfather, John Williams boot maker, witness one of her brothers, Alfred Williams. Groom, Horace Vickers from Selby, Yorks, insurance agent. Worth a mention that the Sparkhill church is shown as in the county of Worcester. Is that a sign that the church is doing it's own thing despite Birmingham having taken over the Yardley part of Worcestershire some eighteen years previously.
Thanks both.

As the marriage is in Birmingham it is a good possibility.

Doesn't appear to be, just a thank you for sympathy and flowers.
Hi, you both helped me enormously with my searches earlier this year could I please ask for a bit more guidance. As dark nights are coming I thought I would try to find WW1 military records of some of my many great uncles, there are a great many of them and I don't even know if they have any such records. I would appreciate a pointer as to which sites are available, inexpensive and easy to use. Thanks in anticipation, Jim.

hi jim ancestry hold the ww1 service records...always hit and miss as many records were destroyed during the ww2 bombings but i believe other records are there such as the medal cards and also soldiers last effects and who they went to...i usually subscribe to ancestry for a month at a time these days just picking up research when i feel like it...its £15.99 a month which is not too bad given the records they hold

lyn

Ancestry, findmypast and familysearch (and others) have military records of one type or another, though Ancestry have spun some of theirs off to fold3. CWGC for those who were killed and electoral rolls for absent voters can be a great help, knowing an address can lead to other info.

It all depends on what you know. Regiment and number and it's easy but just names can be enough.

Not all service records survive but there are others such as MRICs (medal roll index cards).

If you get stuck or want any help just list the names.

Just came across this quote from some twelve months ago. I have since "convinced" myself that this probably not my ggfather. There is another death of a John Williams in Birmingham in 1950 age 88 which almost fits his dob of 1864. (Married 1886 age 22). Is this reasonable slippage? By this time I would have been nine and far more likely to have a memory of him.

Back