• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John ELWELL, Born c1827, Kingswinford, Stafford, Hairdresser

I said earlier I've seen nothing to connect the John Elwell in the paper clippings to the John Elwell from Kingswinford.

That's why I asked to whom the original poster was interested in - Elwells of Kingswinford or Louisa Roberts (post #31).

Yes, there are other candidates for the John Elwell in the clip. Louisa's mother was born in Birmingham and maybe her Elwell family associations were local.

But I assume that TC3 obtained the Kingswinford link from “Correspondence and Warrants"?

Can’t find Will Henry Bright in the 1851 census, but would you Adam and Eve it. His shop in Ryland Rd was relieved of a few items in February 1862 by a chap of the name James Figures (well that is the name given) who resided in Bishopgate Street!

You couldn’t make it up.

View attachment 140810
Just found this post by chance! Just wondered if you can give me any more details about this newspaper cutting or where I can find it, unfortunately unable to read the whole article. I believe James Figures may have (unfortunately!) been an ancestor of mine about whom there was a bit of a mystery, - just wondering if this could be the answer!! Many thanks!

Newspapers can be searched and accessed here

It is free to search but you need to register (free) and subscribe to read. You get a few pages free to start with.

Back