• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Davies snr 1876 - 1930 my brick wall - help please

bewdley

master brummie
My father-in-law John Davies was born at 131 Clement Building, Sandy Lane in 1925 to elderly parents.

His father John Davies snr was born Birmingham approx 1876 and died at 131 Clement Building, Sandy Lane in 1930. I don’t know who his mother was and his father, yet another John Davies was deceased by 1904.

His mother Rose/Rosa Davies nee Danks was born 9 October 1884, Gooch Street, Birmingham. Her parents were Henry Gumm Danks 1857-1916 and Fanny Lovekin 1858-1910. Rose died in SOH 1928.

This is the info on their marriage certificate; John Davies aged 28, bachelor, labourer, Mole Street, married Rose/Rosa Danks aged 21, spinster, Mole Street, at St Agatha’s Sparkbrook on 4[SUP]th[/SUP] December 1904. Father’s names John Davies (timekeeper) deceased and Henry Danks (toolmaker) witnesses Henry Danks and Ada Spiers.

I have his regimental numbers 365(9), 55179, 434666 – he lied about his age when he joined up in 1890; he was 13/14 and said he was 18 – that’s if his age is correct on his marriage cert!

John snr and Rose Davies had 3 children before WW1; interestingly none were born (that we know of) before Thomas J born 1909 (I'm not sure of Thomas' death date) but have been told that he died young. Frances Ellen (known as Nel) 1912 -1992 married William Edgar Monighan in 1933 and Rose Lilian 1915 -1994 married John P Savage in 1934.

When John snr returned home they had another 3 children; Louisa 1920-2007 married John Ryan 1943, Beatrice May 1923-2007 married Peter Myers 1946 and our own John 1925-2001 married Beryl Buck 25 May 1945, Holy Trinity, Bordesley, I have attached a pic of their wedding.

Because of his name and not being certain that I have the correct person I have reams of paperwork pertaining to John Davies, but no concrete proof!

I revisit him often as more records become available though with John Davies as a name to research I feel it’s pretty hopeless, but I live in hope. Perhaps he is a member’s ancestor.

I have also attached a pic of Rose/Rosa Davies nee Danks with two of her older children Thomas J and either Frances or Rose.

Following the loss of his parents John jnr and his two slightly older sisters were taken into care.

All of the above people are now deceased except for one who has given me permission to put this request on the forum.

Thanks for looking and for offering any help you can - I will be grateful for any suggestions.

John Davies and Beryl Buck Marriage 26 May 1945 Holy Trinity Bordesley.jpgDavies nee danks rosa with thomas and daughter c 1915.JPG

bewdley

Bewdley I hope you get your answers, Danks is quite a popular name, I know I have them in my own tree as my grandmother was born Annie Danks, but all that side of the family come from around Netherton.

It looks an impossible task unfortunately, I can only sympathise.

Did he give a next of kin or address when he joined the army? And it could be that he was illegitimate and all the info about his father is made up (I've had that but fortunately it wasn't a common name).

I'm sure you've seen the John Davies, pauper, at Western Road in 1881.

Back