• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Charles Pockett

W

Wendy

This is my husbands grandfather:
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Name: Pockett, John Charles
Initials: J.C.
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Kings Royal Rifle Corps
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Date of Death: 30/07/1916
Service No: 4628
Additional information Son of Charles and Sophie Elizabeth Pockett, of Birmingham; husband of E.J. Keeling(formally Pockett) of 12 Tasker St. Walsall. Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Ref: XXXVIII.F.13.
Cemetery: SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No 2

Moma P wonderful pics thanks for posting them and I can add a bit more to the Info you already have. J.C. Pockett was born in Cheltenham
and where it said his place of death was at Bezentin Le Petite...I can be more precise as the 2nd Battalion reached Candas from Lillers on 8th July 1916 from there marched to Fresselles to Frechencourt 9th July ...reached Bresle 10th July.........Becourt Wood 11th July...working parties around Contalmaison 17th July ....relieved the 2nd Welsh at West of Bezentin Le Petite Wood 18th July ...Scots Redoubt 21st July.... Front Line 22nd July ......attack on Switch Line North East of Pozieres 23rd July Advancing 12-30... Germans spotted advancement and opened up with machine gun fire 560 casualties .......Withdrew to Albert 26th July ...Henencourt Wood 29th July

Thank you for this Cromwell, my husband is very pleased and interested to read your post. I am going to print the information and send it to his sister if that's alright. Moma P

I had to share this with my friends I do hope Terry Carter reads it. Last night while looking for some pictures on another thread I came across one of Carl Chinn's Brummagem magazines. The date was July 2006 I was drawn to an article written by our friend Terry, Brummies at the Somme. The article was so interesting then I saw a photo of the area Serre Road Cemetery no 2. I couldn't believe I had not noticed this before, I must have read it. I have been to this cemetery as it's where my husbands grandfather is buried after he lost his life at the Somme. I have posted a few photo's of him he was John Charles Pockett an Aston postman. How strange this should happen today! Someone is telling us not to forget! I only posted this photo a couple of days ago.

Not that I know of, my husbands mother was the only child of John Charles and I am not sure if John's brother had children but I suppose contact would probably have been lost after John's death.

Charles Pockett

Hello Wendy

I took these pictures in Serre Rd No.2 on the same weekend I visited Gommecourt Cemetery for you.

I have others if you want.

Regards

Terry

Terry that is so kind of you the photo's are lovely. I wish I had asked you to take a photo of John's grave now! Our photo is not very good as we had a problem when we reached the cemetery, John's burial place had been entered incorrectly in the book. It took us forever to find his grave by then we had missed one ferry and the light was failing. I will know in future to ask where you are visiting. If you still have my email address you can send them direct. Once again thank you for your kindness. Wendy.

Another rememberance Sunday. To remember all those brave men lost in to many wars.

Hi Wendy

If you are interested John Charles Pockett is remembered on the WW1 memorial plaque in St Margarets Church, St Margarets Road, Ward End Bham.

Tony

Hi Tony
Is the plaque inside the church? I have been there but it was all boarded up. I would love to see it.

Wendy

Hi Wendy

Yes the plaque is inside the church. I have some photos which I can send you if you cannot get in. Please PM me with your email address as I am unable to reduce the size of the photos to fit on the forum.

Tony

Hi Wendy

Yes the plaque is inside the church. I have some photos which I can send you if you cannot get in. Please PM me with your email address as I am unable to reduce the size of the photos to fit on the forum.

Tony
Thanks Tony I will send you my email address.

John_Charles_Pockett_St_Mary_s_Ward_End_1_edited.jpg
I had to share this with you. Tony has sent me some photo's of the WW1 memorial plaque inside St Margaret's Ward End. I had no idea this plaque was there although I have visited the church which is now boarded up. I want to thank Tony for taking the time to send the photo's.

I also worry what will happen to the church and if it's contents are rotting away. It has a strong connection to Willam Hutton also.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely suprise today to see St Margarets church open. We were able to see the war memorial with Michael's grandfather included. So glad we visited today.
St_Margarets_Ward_End_10_edited.jpg

Hi Wendy
Glad you were able to get into the church at last & am pleased that the war memorial is still there. How is the church these days I hope they are looking after it.

Tony

A bit more info gleaned on Michael's grandfather sad to read.

4628 Pt John Charles Pockett

John Charles Pockett joined the Kings Royal Rifles SM Battalion on 1st Aug 1902 and became a rifleman.
Born in Cheltenham on 7th June 1884.
On 1 August 1903 he was posted to South Africa for 1 year.
In 1914 John was re-called to the army reserve on the 25th June for a further 4 years just over a month before his 9 year term of army reserve expired.
At this time he was a postman in Aston. He re-joined the army on 25th June 1914 becoming a member of the expeditionary force in 1914.

27 June 1916 he was posted to the 17th Battalion.
14 July 1916 he was posted to 2nd Battalion.
16 July 1916 he was gassed in the field.
23 July 1916 he was wounded in action.
30 July 1916 he was killed in action at the Somme.

We have just found this lovely photo of John and his wife and daughter. We have no idea where it is but John must have been taken before he rejoined the army. So very sad when you realise not long after it was taken he was killed at the Somme. The family lived in St Agathas Road, Ward End.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back