• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

john bright street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this is interesting..its a plan sheet for the developement of john bright st..horsefair and suffolk st...note the greys ciggarette bill board..

courtesy of carl chinn

astoness

I've taken the liberty of tweaking this a bit, Astoness.

It could benefit from a higher definition scan to bring out more of the detail.

Chris

A nice view of another long lost scene, Astoness.
Note the Ladywood route tram emerging from Holloway Head, Smallbrook Street would be off to the right opposite that, behind the parked car. A Bristol or Pershore Road tram is coming down John Bright Street towards the photographer
The view now from this spot in Horsefair would be of a huge traffic island with a Chinese pagoda in the centre - a bit different, eh?

sometimes Lloyd when i look at the then and now pics i can hardly beleive they are one and the same place......glad you like that one anyway....

lyn

I probably loaned these from Phil. I've searched long and arduously for street scene's of this corner and they are very rare occurrence. The new building was taken on 2007.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Not really what I was after but still very interesting none the less. Thanks for posting them

Jim

I probably loaned these from Phil. I've searched long and arduously for street scene's of this corner and they are very rare occurrence. The new building was taken on 2007.

Bob

I have a photo of this junction in Chetwins days, but you can only see the "Chet" in the name and therefore only half the frontage. Is that any good anyone?

Here's the item promised, with Chetwyns on the left.It appears that the purpose of the photograph at the time was to capture Hill Street, and the extensive roadworks at the time to make a turn into there easier.
View attachment 62561

Back