• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Anderton

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Can anyone with access to WW1 records see if they can find John Anderton, born 1881 We think he was in either the Royal Staffs or Warwickshire Regt. but can't find any war records/medal cards etc.
Many thanks.
Charlie

Had an initial search Charlie but nothing for the Warks or Staffs. But will keep looking. Viv.

Forces War Records (www.forces-war-records.co.uk) list a J Anderton in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment WW1 service no 27687 (Record from 1917). Not sure if this will be any help. Note you need to be cautious with this web site - the initial search blocks out most of the record but after I paid the £8.95 to view my grandfather's details there was no more info than could be seen before!

Hi Jukebox. I think that record is for a 'Joseph' Anderton. Could be him if he used or was known by another name. Not sure. Here's the transcription. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416749358.007636.jpg

Hi Viv - thanks for that info. The forces war records only showed the initial J so its evident I had the wrong person. Can you tell me where you got your image from? I don't think I've come across that site before. John

I research and add records to the IWM "Lives of WW1" site to remember those who contributed to WW1. To do so I pay a membership fee which gives me access to records including the National Archives set of medal index cards. Not every name can be found, as you'll know, as many source records were destroyed in WW2 bombing. Viv.

Many thanks Jukebox. I don't think Joseph Anderton was part of the family....but have made a note just in case.
Thanks for looking Viv.

Charlie, where did John live? There area few "possibles" of the right name and age in the service record collections.

Chris, John lived in Pope Street and surrounding areas of Hockley/Jewellery Quarter.

Hello
Charlie, we do have a Joseph so might be worth keeping a note.

I've messaged a couple of contacts on Ancestry, but unfortunately they don't have access to WW1 records either. I don't mind paying for a record if it's genuine and the person you are looking for. With the fire and destruction of many WW1 records before they were stopped (bliddy stooped people! History, literally gone up in smoke!) it may possibly be that as his surname starts with a 'A' they were the first records to be destroyed?

As there's a gap between children, I believe he was active between 1914-1918. Son John was born 1913 and Walter 1919. He was living around Eversley Road, Small Heath at the time of marriage and kids came along, and was living there at the time of death in 1929. I can't pinpoint a medal card or pension record either. Would his pension have been passed to his widow?

Hi Viv

Joseph could be another Anderton family branch, possibly from Sheldon.

I notice this one also served down south in another regiment. Definitely, liked to 'get stuck in'

30850_A000032-01312.jpg41629_626640_11401-00265.jpg41803_636897_11321-00116.jpgis this your john anderton he's on 1918, 1919 absent voters list living at no 3 place 4 eversley rd, and is still there in 1925 living with alice anderton. Michael.

Many thanks Michael, I'll confer with my cousin "GoldenOldie", she's the Anderton expert!
Thanks for all your help.

That's him!!! Eversley Road whooppeeeeee

Thank you so much Journeyman Brummie or can I call you Michael too?

I haven't been able to find a thing in months, and someone finds him in 5 days!

Have copied the records you attached on your reply Michael.
Where do I find these records and if he was attached to Royal Staffs or Warwickshire?

Here is a copy of his probate - as he died at the BSA I'm wondering whether there could be something in a newspaper, which may mention his war service. Maybe someone on here has access to newspaper records.

Anderton John of 3 back of 56 Eversley-road Small Heath Birmingham died 16 October 1929 at Birmingham Small Arms Works Montgomery Street, Birmingham. Administration Birmingham 9 November to Alice Anderton widow Effects £141.

John married Alice Jelves at St Pauls, on 16 April 1911.

Hi GoldenOldie I found these records on ancestry.co.uk by first looking for absent voters list, I also noted that a John Anderton, had married an alice jones in 1911 in the parish of st pauls, Happy to be help. Michael.

ps I have no idea if the ramc or the rfa are attached to any regiment such as the warks or the staffs im sure someone will Know.

Bewdley

Thanks for the info. It was only John's WW1 record that I couldn't locate as I didn't have a regiment number for him although I'm still looking for papers which tells me when he actually signed up. I have copies of birth, marriage (1st and 2nd) and death certs including a copy of his inquest held on 18th Oct 1929, census records etc.

I'm amazed at the help from BHF members and how they've managed to locate the WW! info, absolutely fabulous!!!!

Thank you one and all x

Bewdley

Title: spanner in the works.

By the way, my grandads accident which caused his death in 1929 at the BSA, was literally caused by a spanner falling into a machine he had just repaired and caused the machine to explode, sending pieces of it flying out. A piece hit his skull causing the fatal injury, he died half hour later from the wound. Sad though because my mum was 11 months old and never knew her dad. Gruesome... the inquest report even had a drawing of the said spanner!! Double gruesome!!

Cheers for the help

Michael

DOH me! For month's I had been searching the military lists on ancestry without checking the 'absent' voters list. Thanks for that tip i'll try and remember to look that up if I should have any more rellies in WW1 to look up.

ps
I checked National Archives earlier to see if they mention which regiment the RAMC and RFA were under? No luck there!
But I'm more than happy with what you have found out, thanks again x

My great grandmother Jane Beatrice was the sister of John, two of Beatrice daughters are still alive my nan ivy and my great aunt Elsie

Bigboy

Do you use Ancestry as well or just read the posts from 2014? Michael-JourneymanBrummie & Charlie were kind enough to help and traced the records for me.
John was my grandfather, any info you want about the Anderton's just let me know and i'll do my best to help you out.

By the way, if you're using Ancestry what name are you under? If you want to keep it private you can always send me a private message and let me know.

Back