• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John and Frances Molesworth

evacar52

knowlegable brummie
My great grandmother, Frances (Humphries) Heath lived with the Molesworths, her grandparents. All of her siblings, except Frances, lived with the parents William and Harriet Humphries. The Moleworth address in the 1861 census was Howell Rd, Greet and William and Harriet lived at Alcester St., Redditch. I am trying to determine if they lived in close proximity.

Greet is near to Tyseley and about 15 miles from Redditch so not very near. Will try to find a suitable map later.

This is a modern map - the older maps come in sheets and Greet, Tyseley and Redditch are not on the same sheet. Redditch at the bottom in yellow. Greet is a small area where the red dot is and the green dot is where the larger area of Tysley is. Boundaries probably were slightly different in 1861.
1584711467271.png

This is a modern map - the older maps come in sheets and Greet, Tyseley and Redditch are not on the same sheet. Redditch at the bottom in yellow. Greet is a small area where the red dot is and the green dot is where the larger area of Tysley is. Boundaries probably were slightly different in 1861.
View attachment 143137
Thanks so much Janice. So appreciate all the maps you have shared.
Carol

My great grandmother, Frances (Humphries) Heath lived with the Molesworths, her grandparents. All of her siblings, except Frances, lived with the parents William and Harriet Humphries. The Moleworth address in the 1861 census was Howell Rd, Greet and William and Harriet lived at Alcester St., Redditch. I am trying to determine if they lived in close proximity.
It doesn't change the answer to your question but I think the address is actually Warwick Road Greet - I know the writing is faint but vaguely knowing the area and looking at pages before and after I am convinced it says Warwick not Howell.
1584824826860.png
At the front of the census volume it says:
1584824865410.png

It doesn't change the answer to your question but I think the address is actually Warwick Road Greet - I know the writing is faint but vaguely knowing the area and looking at pages before and after I am convinced it says Warwick not Howell.
View attachment 143201
View attachment 143202
View attachment 143201
View attachment 143202
Hi Janice Yes magnified like this I see that it does say Warwick Rd. Thanks for this. Carol

I am intrigued that John and Frances Molesworth appear in Shirley (on the map in #3) on the 1841 and 1851 censuses - 1841 on Shirley Street and 1851on Haslucks Green . John is a needle maker - Shirley is not that near the needle industry of Redditch and I wonder where he made his needles for.

I am intrigued that John and Frances Molesworth appear in Shirley (on the map in #3) on the 1841 and 1851 censuses - 1841 on Shirley Street and 1851on Haslucks Green . John is a needle maker - Shirley is not that near the needle industry of Redditch and I wonder where he made his needles for.
Hi Janice
That is interesting about John and Frances. Thanks to the links you have sent I have been reading about the needle industry and it looks like there were some needle makers that were home/cottage based. Perhaps this was the case. I can't find the record but I did see an entry for John Molesworth in one of the business directories on Ancestry and this John Molesworth was involved in ribbon manufacturing but not sure if they are one and the same and at the moment due to our library closures I can't access Ancestry.
Are census accounts, as far as stated occupations always accurate? I noticed that great grandfather William Heath put on the 1891 census that he was a fishing bell maker but in the 1890 and 1892 business directory he was listed as a pawn broker.
Carol

Hi Carol. Agree they worked at home but unlike Britten Street where so many of the families were involved in making needles for the local factory I have no idea where the needles would have gone when they lived in Shirley.
I shall have to look into this - I grew up in Shirley so am curious. Shirley Street was alongside what is now part of a very busy road which is the main road from Stratford on Avon to Birmingham and Shirley Heath now only really exists as the name of a local primary school. I have ancestors who lived on Shirley Street. Haslucks Green is the name of an area of Shirley as well as a Road - but it is a long one and I have no idea where your ancestors would have lived.
It is only the towns in Kelly's which are listed road by road. Shirley just has notable residents and main commercial people listed. The ancestors of neither of us come into that category.

Last edited:
Hi Carol. Agree they worked at home but unlike Britten Street where so many of the families were involved in making needles for the local factory I have no idea where the needles would have gone when they lived in Shirley.
I shall have to look into this - I grew up in Shirley so am curious. Shirley Street was alongside what is now part of a very busy road which is the main road from Stratford on Avon to Birmingham and Shirley Heath now only really exists as the name of a local primary school. I have ancestors who lived on Shirley Street. Haslucks Green is the name of an area of Shirley as well as a Road - but it is a long one and I have no idea where your ancestors would have lived.
It is only the towns in Kelly's which are listed road by road. Shirley just has notable residents and main commercial people listed. The ancestors of neither of us come into that category.
Hi Janice
You have given me the best laugh of the day, the only I think. So funny about neither of us having notable nor commercial ancestors. I look to my humble roots and how they had such resilience and persevered and hope to find the same in this troubled time Look forward to any information you can find. Carol

Back