• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jobs we used to do

alana124

master brummie
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER TESTER AND SWAIN IN PRICHARD STREET ASTON
USED TO MAKE SPRAYERS AND THINGS MY MOM AND HER SISTERS USED TO WORK ON THE POWER PRESS:rolleyes:

Helo Barrie, My late wife worked at Abbottsin 1952 the owners name was Mr Sheasby she was 15,her name was Marjorie Holt​

Helo Barrie, My late wife worked at Abbottsin 1952 the owners name was Mr Sheasby she was 15,her name was Marjorie Holt​

Hello Alan, I was working there at that time, your wife must have been in the accounts office. I was a junior salesman, I worked there from 1950 to 1954 when I left to go and do my National Service.

i used to work on a hand press making all sorts of hinges for doors etc, i will never forget the factory inside, when i was shown to my bench as a young girl i was 16yrs .id never seen such an old factory it was like sommat out of a dickens film, there was boards on the floorwhich you could see through and creaked , a lift like really old to take you up to the next floor, tiny windows were ancient,no canteen,all squashed into small rooms weird building inside , this was in newtown in 1973.very victorian .and all the machinery too.does anyone remember a factory made hinges of all shapes and sizes ,down from the hippodrome behind a park ,or waste ground.

Harley there were a lot of places like that especially in the jewelry quarter

Mossy

yes thats right i have seen them on here in pictures, it was creepy to me years ago that factory,ha ha .

I've worked in a lot of factories in my time.
I worked at Kings Norton Stopper and components, on Kings Norton factory centre, in the early 1970's
I believe we made components for cars. I loved the big power presses, but once knocked myself out on a hand press. I swung the handle hard, expecting it to be stiff, but it was very loose, and swung all the way round, and the big ball weight knocked me clean out.
I aint been right since!!

Back