• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jewsbury Richard

Sadbrewer

knowlegable brummie
Hi all
Just doing my Jewsbury family history.
My Great Grandfather Richard Jewsbury b1856 Aston and his cousin also Richard seem to have interests in engineering, (Brass and Iron casting) Blind making and pubs, it's a little difficult to be certain who owns what at this stage, but adverts in the old papers suggest they lived or worked at the following addresses.
Pubs called the Britannia Stores, 34 &1/2 Parade( opposite Clement Street) in 1874...The Parade Crown in 1871.
The blind making seems to have been done at the Britannia Stores but in 1875 moves to an address at 96 New John Street West, by 1877 it was 12 George St, Parade.
I can't find where these places were at all....any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Sadbrewer

"Parade ran from" Summer Row to the Sand Pits, both Clement Street and George Street were off Parade, and still are today, but nothing like they were in the late 1800's. I'll see what I can come up with about the Britannia Stores.

After a quick peek in the directories I see Richard Jewsbury is listed as a Ale & porter dealer at thirty four and a half the Parade in 1871. In 1875 the address is listed as a beer retailer in the name of George Allcock. Any idea of the number for The Crown as it looks like it will be listed as another beer retailer and therefore not under the name of a pub.

Sadbrewer.
The 1871 census shows Richard Jewsbury at 34½ Parade, and lists it as the Crown Inn, so presumably it changed name between the two dates. Its position is shown on th e c1889 map below in red.

map c1889 showing 34½ Parade.jpg

The map, in post 4, shows the steam operated tramway which commenced in 1885. Under new management it became an electrified line at the beginning of the 20th. century. Newhall Hill, on the right of the map, would not see trams until 1907 which went to Lodge Road.

After a deeper search through the directories I find that your Richard Jewsbury certainly liked to move about a bit, here is a list of addresses and trades that I found from 1868 until the entries ceased in 1903. Interestingly in 1904 a new entry appeared which has to be more than coincidence, at the least I would think it to be a relation.
John Jewsbury & Co Cabinet Brassfounders, 71 Broad Street.

All Entries in the name of Richard Jewsbury

1868 Shopkeeper 137 Great Tindal Street

1872 Ale & Porter Dealer 34.5 the Parade

1873 Ale & Porter 34.5 the Parade & window blind furniture George Street

1876 12 George Street

1878 Venetian Blind Manufacturer 10.5 the Parade

1879 Brassfounder & spring roller manufacturer

1880 Brassfounder & spring roller maker, 10.5 Parade, & window blind manufacturer, 210 Monument rd

1882 Brass founder & blind maker, manufacturer of "The Patent Clipper Venetian blind action " & spring curtain rollers, 10 Parade

1888 window blind furniture manufacturer, King Alfred's place

1890 window blind fittings, spring blind rollers & window blind maker 25 Brasshouse passage

1892 window blind fittings, spring blind rollers & window blind maker, 21 Broad street

Last Entry
1903 window blind fittings, spring blind rollers & window blind maker, 21 Broad street

I wonder why he moved often? As a shopkeeper and then ale and porter dealer he did not seem to be successful. He did, however, find his niche in the blind manufacturing business and I suspect the brass founding part referred to components he needed for his blinds to operate.

As he rented the premises (I found a few entries in the rates books) perhaps the moves represented higher (or lower) rents depending on how he was doing in the business?

After a quick peek in the directories I see Richard Jewsbury is listed as a Ale & porter dealer at thirty four and a half the Parade in 1871. In 1875 the address is listed as a beer retailer in the name of George Allcock. Any idea of the number for The Crown as it looks like it will be listed as another beer retailer and therefore not under the name of a pub.

Hi Phil
The 1891 census shows 34 1/2 as a confectioners, but 34 as the Britannia Stores public house,
the 1881 census shows 34 as an unnamed pub...still run by Allcock, unhelpfully 34 1/2 is unlisted.

Attachments

• Jewsbury Britannia 1873.jpg
    Jewsbury Britannia 1873.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 3
After a deeper search through the directories I find that your Richard Jewsbury certainly liked to move about a bit, here is a list of addresses and trades that I found from 1868 until the entries ceased in 1903. Interestingly in 1904 a new entry appeared which has to be more than coincidence, at the least I would think it to be a relation.
John Jewsbury & Co Cabinet Brassfounders, 71 Broad Street.

All Entries in the name of Richard Jewsbury

1868 Shopkeeper 137 Great Tindal Street

1872 Ale & Porter Dealer 34.5 the Parade

1873 Ale & Porter 34.5 the Parade & window blind furniture George Street

1876 12 George Street

1878 Venetian Blind Manufacturer 10.5 the Parade

1879 Brassfounder & spring roller manufacturer

1880 Brassfounder & spring roller maker, 10.5 Parade, & window blind manufacturer, 210 Monument rd

1882 Brass founder & blind maker, manufacturer of "The Patent Clipper Venetian blind action " & spring curtain rollers, 10 Parade

1888 window blind furniture manufacturer, King Alfred's place

1890 window blind fittings, spring blind rollers & window blind maker 25 Brasshouse passage

1892 window blind fittings, spring blind rollers & window blind maker, 21 Broad street

Last Entry
1903 window blind fittings, spring blind rollers & window blind maker, 21 Broad street
Hi Phil...again many thanks.

That seems to cover his blinds business off, he died in 1896 so I assume a son took over the business ( I haven't got the genealogy that far yet!!)
John Jewsbury is definitely a close relative...his company went on to become one of the country's biggest brassworkers...Pearson,Page,Jewsbury...sadly the money never came our way...another Jewsbury founded Jewsbury and Brown ( up in Manchester)...famous for their pot lids being so collectable nowadays, they made toothpaste and all kind of tinctures plus soft drinks...they sold out to Schweppes in 1964...same story with the inheritance.

all long gone i think sadbrewer..if you dont already know of the overlay map site this may interest you..you can travel all over brum but i have set the map on the parade as it was 1888 to 1913...just move the blue dot to the left and the old map will fade out to reveal what is there now

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4821&lon=-1.9106&layers=6&b=1

Many many thanks again...you Brummies have been so helpful, I'd thought about buying one of the Alan Godfrey maps but hadn't a clue which ones to go at.

I think we've sorted my Great Grandad's cousin...apart from the fact that he sells a Grocery shop and Rabbit business in 1874 ( attached)
Jewsbury W. Brom Cinder sale..jpgJewsbury Brassfoundry sale. 1878.jpgJewsbury Grocery Shop sale 1874.jpgIf I could ask if your combined knowledge spreads a little further . My GG Richard was also born in Aston, but his Father died young and my GG Gran married a John Lugg ( also in the casting trade ) in Wolverhampton .
In the 1870's GG Richard was at 248 Spon Lane, West Bromwich, apparently in the same business.
He seems to have a connection with the John Spencer's Vulcan Tubeworks of Spon Lane (attached), but he is also advertising under his own account. In 1878 he offers for sale 40-50 tons of cinder from his site, he shortly after applies for planning permission for more outbuildings .
Whether this is coincidence I have no idea, but a few weeks after offering the cinders for sale in the Birmingham post, his Cousin Richard on the Parade is offering for sale a small casting business, due to death.
Just throwing another Jewsbury into the mix, William Henry Jewsbury ( Uncle to both) also has a casting business on Richard Street close to Spon Lane.
Any clues or help you guys can give will be most appreciated.

Attachments

• Jewsbury Vulcan Tubeworks.jpg
    Jewsbury Vulcan Tubeworks.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 4
Back