• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jewish Hyams family , Small Heath Birmingham

Arnhem 1944

I wonder if any forum member can help me out tracing relatives of the Jewish soldier Private Eli Hyams, killed during the Battle of Arnhem.

His parents were William and Lillian Hyams and he was married to Evelyn Lillian of Small Heath.

I checked the BT phone book but that doesnt mention any HYAMS in the Brimingham area.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Looking at the electoral rolls for Birmingham for 1939, there is a Bert & Eli Hyams living with George James Harris & Lillian Harris at 141 Arthur st. The Harris's name comes first which I would think means they might be the householders

Last edited:
There is marriage listed on freeBMD for a George J Harris and a Lillie Highams in Birmingham 1923. Spelling close enough to suggest Lilian remarried perhaps.

Curiously Bert and Eli seem to have different names listed for their mother's maiden name on their birth registration.

Bert registered as Bertie Hyam, Birmingham 1913 - mother's maiden name Glover.

Eli registered as Eli Hyams, Dec 1914 - mother's maiden name Spencer.

There's a marriage for a William Higham and Lily Glover registered Bham 1909 and they're in the 1911 census with a son Arthur (b1910, d1911)

And a fourth son, registered as Philip Hyam, 1919 - mmn Glover

Last edited:
There's a marriage registered for a Bertie Hyams and a Florence Poller, Bham 1939 and the seem to have just one son, registered as Anthony Hyam, Bham 1946.

I'm assuming you know of Eli's daughter.

The Hyams are well known within the Jewish community of Birmingham and around Edgbaston
And great friends of the Johnsons and Cohen's whom are also jewelers and they are related Cohen's married into the Johnsons
Sammy Cohen died many years ago he was the general secretary for the pershore road edgbaston Synagogue
All three family's have history for anybody interested in the Hyams family mentioned Astonian,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back