• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jewellery store

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Does anyone remember the name of the jewellery store across the road from "The House That Jack Built"? I have a story relating to it but can't
remember the name. They bought second hand jeellery as well.

There were a few shops just there, I cant think of any that just sold Jewelery? Blacks, Edwards, Griffins, Avrills, Goulds Tailors, The Maypole, The Co-Op are all shops just thereabouts that spring to mind, and were almost opposite to the Jack Built. I know these arnt perhaps what you asked for, but maybe remebering some of the shops round about might help?

There was a Pawnbroker come jewelery/ watch and clock shop on the other side by the name of Biddles?

the jewelers was further up almost opposite the Aston Hippodrome I bought my wife her engagement ring from there in 1955 but I can remember the name of the shop
the jewelers must have moved to High street after 1940 in the 1940 Kelly's there was no Jeweler there ?
there where no jewelers in High street either side in 1940 ?

In the 46 there was a pawnbrokers at nos 81 & 83 but on the same side as The House that Jack Built between Manchester St and Pritchett St: Carter, Langdon and Co. also on that side between Miller St and Moorsom St, at 159 there was William Clarke, watchmaker
Up High Street there was Bernard Kemp, antique dealer, number 21 between Sixways and Arthur Place. Lower down at 69 & 71 was Pawsons pawn shop. Sorry can't find any Jewellers.

I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was next door to Kettering and Leicester Shoe Shop, and the doorway was was set at an angle, and the bus stop to Perry Barr was right outside the shop. It sold "good" jewellery and also cheap stuff, when I was a teenager I used to buy a lot of earrings from there. It was almost facing Burlington Street.

Thanks everyone for your help in remembering which Jewellery store I am thinking of. I have a photo in one of my Brum books of the area when they dug up the street to work on the submerged Hockley Brook and the store I think is on it. I'll have a look and let you know. Thanks again you're all great.

the picture you are referring to is Newtown row end the jewelers is the other end High street and the shop was not quite opposite Burlington street it was between Burlington street and the Aston Hippodrome

Back