• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Links : Jewellery Quarter Research Group (now Trust) site

Hi Dottieau, Jonas bowen snr was my great x6 grandfather. I am curious as to your connection.

regards,

Nigel Bowen

Could someone please tell me where i can find the 1744 census for Birmingham. I am looking for information on Thomas Bowen born 1744, married Sarah Gardiner, 5th March 1764.

Thanks in advance.

Could someone please tell me where i can find the 1744 census for Birmingham. I am looking for information on Thomas Bowen born 1744, married Sarah Gardiner, 5th March 1764.

Thanks in advance.

hi nigel the census did not start until 1841 so some hundred years after the year you are looking for...

lyn

thanks for your response, Lyn. I'm trying to trace my family back as far as is possible and have hit a stop with Thomas.

Hi Nigel My father was Albert Ernest Bowen (1903) son of Alfred (1874) son of William Richard Bowen (1851) son of James Bowen (1812) son of Jonas (1786) son of Thomas wife Sarah Gardener but no details of Thomas or his wife Sarah. regards Dotti

Hi Dotti. Thomas Bowen born 1744 in Birmingham. Married Sarah Gardiner 5th March 1764 at St Martins. Thats as far back as I've managed to get, so-far. James was my great grandfather x5, he was a clockmaker. Your tree aligns with mine. However, I have different birth dates to yours. By my reckoning, you are one of my fathers cousins.

Hope this helps,

Nigel

Hi Brian, is there any possibility to have a look at the photos of the Bowen's resting place. I visited both cemeteries two weeks ago but could not find them.

TIA

Nigel Bowen

Hi Nigel I would be interested to know who my cousin would be as I only remember girl cousins on my Bowen side. Could you also let me know the Birth dates that are different to the ones you have so I can check further. If you private message me with your email address I will send you the pictures of the graves. Regards Dotti.

Hi Dotti. Thomas Bowen born 1744 in Birmingham. Married Sarah Gardiner 5th March 1764 at St Martins. Thats as far back as I've managed to get, so-far. James was my great grandfather x5, he was a clockmaker. Your tree aligns with mine. However, I have different birth dates to yours. By my reckoning, you are one of my fathers cousins.

Hope this helps,

Nigel
Thomas Bowen & Sarah's MARRIAGE BOND says that he was 28 when he married which makes his birth date 1736. In the same marriage bond Sarah was listed as being 22 making her birth date 1742 or thereabouts.

I'm tracing the Bowen Family tree from Thomas Bowen 1736. & Sarah Gardner 1742 through to the present day & on my family tree there is NO James Bowen born to ANY Jonas descended from Thomas & Sarah Bowen. There IS a James Bowen whose father was JOHN & mother Mary. I'll see if I can find that record again. I would post my version of the Bowen Family Tree however I did it with one person & NEVER received even a "thank you" for what amounts to over FIFTY years of work by my great-uncle Harry & myself so unless "someone" can give me a reason to share then nope.

I'm tracing the Bowen Family tree from Thomas Bowen 1736. & Sarah Gardner 1742 through to the present day & on my family tree there is NO James Bowen born to ANY Jonas descended from Thomas & Sarah Bowen. There IS a James Bowen whose father was JOHN & mother Mary. I'll see if I can find that record again. I would post my version of the Bowen Family Tree however I did it with one person & NEVER received even a "thank you" for what amounts to over FIFTY years of work by my great-uncle Harry & myself so unless "someone" can give me a reason to share then nope.
Hi Virginia, the only reason I could give to you for sharing is that I've started to search and buy back as much "family silver" that I can, owing to my pride. As well as, your dates differ from mine and I would appreciate you scrutinising the family tree I have.

Best regards,
Nigel

Thomas Bowen & Sarah's MARRIAGE BOND says that he was 28 when he married which makes his birth date 1736. In the same marriage bond Sarah was listed as being 22 making her birth date 1742 or thereabouts.
Here's the information I gathered about James Bowen's birth in 1812. The parish register says John & Mary Bowen are his parents. I searched through the original parish records around 1812 & can't find another James.

Attachments

• James_Bowen_birth1812.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Here is the Marriage Allegation & Bond information on Thomas Bowen & Sarah Gardner's marriage in 1764.

Attachments

• Bowen_Gardner_marriage_bond.pdf
    590.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi Virginia, the only reason I could give to you for sharing is that I've started to search and buy back as much "family silver" that I can, owing to my pride. As well as, your dates differ from mine and I would appreciate you scrutinising the family tree I have.

Best regards,
Nigel
Where's your family tree located? I can check it out later today.

Hi Virginia, attached is all I have at the moment. This was originally from my eldest sister, now I am taking over the task.

Attachments

• NB-ancestors by generation.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi Virginia, attached is all I have at the moment. This was originally from my eldest sister, now I am taking over the task.
Thanks for sending it along! I won't be able to check it out today (February 13) - have to go to the city. Will check it out on the weekend.

I couldn't resist - I looked! Your tree departs significantly from what my Bowen tree looks like unfortunately. Do you know if there's any way we can post our email address so it's private? Bottom line is the problem whether James was a child of Jonas & Esther Prime. My view is that James isn't a child of J & E. From the one piece of documentation I can find, an original parish register, James was the son of John & Mary Bowen. As well, we differ about the birth dates of Thomas Bowen (1744). See the marriage allegation & bond I posted in a reply above where it indicates Thomas was 28 y.o. in 1764 (b. about 1736) & Sarah was 22 (born about 1742). I'd need to discuss what documentation you have so we can explore whether our trees converge.

Virginia
If you click on the little envelope symbol on the blue band at the top rh of the page, you can then start a conversation that will only be seen by yourselves

Back