• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Links : Jewellery Quarter Research Group (now Trust) site

I'm tracing the Bowen Family tree from Thomas Bowen 1736. & Sarah Gardner 1742 through to the present day & on my family tree there is NO James Bowen born to ANY Jonas descended from Thomas & Sarah Bowen. There IS a James Bowen whose father was JOHN & mother Mary. I'll see if I can find that record again. I would post my version of the Bowen Family Tree however I did it with one person & NEVER received even a "thank you" for what amounts to over FIFTY years of work by my great-uncle Harry & myself so unless "someone" can give me a reason to share then nope.

I'm tracing the Bowen Family tree from Thomas Bowen 1736. & Sarah Gardner 1742 through to the present day & on my family tree there is NO James Bowen born to ANY Jonas descended from Thomas & Sarah Bowen. There IS a James Bowen whose father was JOHN & mother Mary. I'll see if I can find that record again. I would post my version of the Bowen Family Tree however I did it with one person & NEVER received even a "thank you" for what amounts to over FIFTY years of work by my great-uncle Harry & myself so unless "someone" can give me a reason to share then nope.
Hi Virginia, the only reason I could give to you for sharing is that I've started to search and buy back as much "family silver" that I can, owing to my pride. As well as, your dates differ from mine and I would appreciate you scrutinising the family tree I have.

Best regards,
Nigel

Thomas Bowen & Sarah's MARRIAGE BOND says that he was 28 when he married which makes his birth date 1736. In the same marriage bond Sarah was listed as being 22 making her birth date 1742 or thereabouts.
Here's the information I gathered about James Bowen's birth in 1812. The parish register says John & Mary Bowen are his parents. I searched through the original parish records around 1812 & can't find another James.

Attachments

• James_Bowen_birth1812.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Thomas Bowen & Sarah's MARRIAGE BOND says that he was 28 when he married which makes his birth date 1736. In the same marriage bond Sarah was listed as being 22 making her birth date 1742 or thereabouts.
Here is the Marriage Allegation & Bond information on Thomas Bowen & Sarah Gardner's marriage in 1764.

Attachments

• Bowen_Gardner_marriage_bond.pdf
    590.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi Virginia, the only reason I could give to you for sharing is that I've started to search and buy back as much "family silver" that I can, owing to my pride. As well as, your dates differ from mine and I would appreciate you scrutinising the family tree I have.

Best regards,
Nigel
Where's your family tree located? I can check it out later today.

Hi Virginia, attached is all I have at the moment. This was originally from my eldest sister, now I am taking over the task.

Attachments

• NB-ancestors by generation.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi Virginia, attached is all I have at the moment. This was originally from my eldest sister, now I am taking over the task.
Thanks for sending it along! I won't be able to check it out today (February 13) - have to go to the city. Will check it out on the weekend.

I couldn't resist - I looked! Your tree departs significantly from what my Bowen tree looks like unfortunately. Do you know if there's any way we can post our email address so it's private? Bottom line is the problem whether James was a child of Jonas & Esther Prime. My view is that James isn't a child of J & E. From the one piece of documentation I can find, an original parish register, James was the son of John & Mary Bowen. As well, we differ about the birth dates of Thomas Bowen (1744). See the marriage allegation & bond I posted in a reply above where it indicates Thomas was 28 y.o. in 1764 (b. about 1736) & Sarah was 22 (born about 1742). I'd need to discuss what documentation you have so we can explore whether our trees converge.

Virginia
If you click on the little envelope symbol on the blue band at the top rh of the page, you can then start a conversation that will only be seen by yourselves

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section. My husband has inheried a napkin ring from a reltive who lived in Switzerland. He found that the hallmark suggests the Birmingham Assay Office, 1902 and the maker’s mark C.H looks as if it belongs to Charles Harrold & Co of 2 and 3, St Paul’s Square, Birmingham. That address is now a live music venue called The Jam House.

Attachments

• Napkin Ring .jpg
    Napkin Ring .jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 3
Can anyone point me in the direction of the up to date link in post #1 please ? Don’t seem to be able to find it. It was a useful resource when I last used it, although that was 10 years ago. Maybe there’s a new link somewhere. Thanks. Viv.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the up to date link in post #1 please ? Don’t seem to be able to find it. It was a useful resource when I last used it, although that was 10 years ago. Maybe there’s a new link somewhere. Thanks. Viv.
if you google them - you get jqrt - seems it is now a trust not a group

Back