• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jet Manufacturing In Birmingham Circa 1863

DaveJvu

proper brummie kid
I am researching my Harrison links in Birmingham and I would be grateful and interested in any information on the family and its jewelry business, etc:

My four-times Great-Grandfather Henry Harrison (1786-1864) was a Jeweller and his eldest sons Henry (1813) and joseph (1815) went into business together - perhaps taking over the family jewelry business...

In the Slater's Directory of 1846, there is an entry for Henry and Joseph Harrison, based at 4 Howard Street, Birmingham as "Manufacturing Jewellers".

In the 1863 "Goldsmiths, Silversmiths, Watchmakers and Cutlers Directory" in the "Bright and Coloured Goldsmiths and Jewellers" catagory and includes the comment specifying theclass of goods manufactured as "Jet ornament manufacturers" - They also appear in the "Jet and Black Ornament Manufacturers" catagory as well.

I would be very interested in any information on jet manufacturing in Birmingham (I have read plenty on Whitby Jet) and would appreciate any tit bits on the manufacture and trade in Birmingham... I have read that from 1850 that jet became a popular medium for jewelry and especially fro Queen Victorias mourning of Prince Albert followin his death in 1862... and that it was coupled with the silver jewelry after 1888... I have found nothing specific on Birmingham jet work in the various records...

The Harrisons were not unique in adopting jet as a medium in Birmingham - In the same 1863 Directory, there is also:

Hands & Holland of Caroline Street

Lichtenstein & Lewis of 34 St. Paul's Square

Only these 3 companies are highlighted in the list of 27 Jet and Black Ornament Manufacturers as dealing in jet... So I would have expected to find something relating to the industry....

I look forward to any responses.

Regards

David Babb-Farrell

This may interest you - the Harrison's get a mention in the Birmingham Daily Post Thursday 12 August 1869 - someone stole a chain from a parcel they had sent to Aberystwith. (Aberystwyth)

Attachments

• harrison_Thurs_Aug_122C_1869.JPG
    harrison_Thurs_Aug_122C_1869.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 11
  • d~0.JPG
    d~0.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 11
Good evening PollyPops

Excellent! Glad that this was a "positive" mention of the Harrisons... For a moment I was fearing someone in the family had been the perpatraitor....

Thank you for this - much appreciated - another little gem to set in the story...

Best regards

David

You're most welcome - I think it's nice to have snippets like this in your family tree/story - they make the people/places more real somehow. I will look for more tomorrow.

Back