• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jessie S Bennett

acklam19

master brummie
Hi all.
I was wondering if you could perhaps help me find the birth of Jessie S Bennett, it may have been around 1913 give or take. the only sure thing I know is that she married my uncle Albert Victor Mole in June 1936 in Birmingham and they spent the last years of their lives in Bidford-upon-Avon in what relatives say was her mothers house so there may be a clue there. I have hunted high and low but with no joy any help at all would be most appreciated.

Regards Acklam19.

MWS

master brummie
Could she have been married previously or born abroad?

In 1939 B'ham electoral rolls there is an Albert Victor and Jessie Sylvia Mole.

And in 1935 there is a Jessie Sylvia O Bennett listed. Might be the right person but I can't see who she's living with to take it further.

bewdley

master brummie
Further to MWS’ post above, Jessie Sylvia Bennett is living at 82/83 Adderley Arms, Adderley Street with Harry and Beatrice May Jones, Henry Tomkins and Nellie Ellen Webb (1935 E/Rolls). Not much help I know, but it may give you a clue. Do you know the maiden name of Jessie’s mother?

acklam19

master brummie
Hi MWS.That is great news about the S is for Sylvia, my eldest sister born in 1937 is named Sylvia and we often wondered were Mom and Dad got it from now we know as they were very close to Albert and Jessie in fact Dad used to tell the story of when they were on Fire Watch duty at the BSA in Armory Road in the War Albert saved him by pushing him down the steps of an Air raid shelter and diving on top of him and when they emerged everything was destroyed.As to Jessie being married I can not say but i am convinced she was born outside of Brum.
Hi Bewdley. I think you are spot on with the Adderley Arms as Albert lived most of his life in New Bond St which is right next to Adderley St and thats where they must have met and the fact she was in Digs makes me more certain that she was born out of town.The only name I knew her mother as was Mrs Bennett and she was living at Co-Op House High St Bidford-Upon-Avon.
Many thanks both of you for your help it has at least help me move forward somewhat.

Regards Acklam19.

acklam19

master brummie
Hi MWS & Bewdley
Just a quick update on Jessie, I had a look yesterday at what would happen if I reversed the name and tried Sylvia Jessie and bingo it threw up everything I was after with it all leading back to High St Bidford. Jessies mother who we knew as Mrs Bennett is Elizabeth Jane Collett prior to her marriage and died in 1974 aged 92 so Jessie must have hated the name Sylvia and so called her self Jessie even on her wedding certificate.
So thanks again to you both for the names which got me there.

regards Acklam19.

bewdley

master brummie
Cheers Acklam 19

I must remember that when I hit another brick wall, but my brick walls (at the moment) seem to have one Christian name only and that is either John or Joseph with Davies as the surname!!!

Thanks bewdley