• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jennings

Re world war 2; My mother was evacuated from alderney to UK; I have her address as 177 Grovelly Lane West heath; she lived here with her family of Jennings, My uncle was discharged from the navy and died shortly after; his address was listed as the same; I do not know if they stayed with family or a family who took in evacuees. My grandparents were Charles and Queenie Jennings, my mother was Marina Jennings she would not have been very old and would of probably gone to school. Any information no matter how small would be gratefully appreciated, even if its a photo of the house at the time and now. Thank you for reading this.

Last edited:
Re world war 2; My mother was evacuated from alderney to UK; I have her address as 177 Grovelly Lane West heath; she lived here with her family of Jennings, My uncle was discharged from the navy and died shortly after; his address was listed as the same; I do not know if they stayed with family or a family who took in evacuees. My grandparents were Charles and Queenie Jennings, my mother was Marina Jennings she would not have been very old and would of probably gone to school. Any information no matter how small would be gratefully appreciated, even if its a photo of the house at the time and now. Thank you for reading this.

Thanks you for posting on the forum. We strongly advise member not to post their personal email addresses on the forum. The data can be harvested and use for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects your privacy.

Last edited:
Thanks you for posting on the forum. We strongly advise member not to post their personal email addresses on the forum. The data can be harvested and use for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects your privacy.
Thanks for that I have edited my message and took my e-mail off; once again thankyou

On 1939 register Groveley Lane was under the Bromsgrove district. Listed at 177 was a Philip Henry McGinn, Ellen Smyth (who was the beneficiary when he died in 1946) and Jackson G Smyth.

Philip Henry McGinn was born in St Helens 1896 and seems to have been in the Merchant Navy, a connection with your uncle maybe?

On 1939 register Groveley Lane was under the Bromsgrove district. Listed at 177 was a Philip Henry McGinn, Ellen Smyth (who was the beneficiary when he died in 1946) and Jackson G Smyth.

Philip Henry McGinn was born in St Helens 1896 and seems to have been in the Merchant Navy, a connection with your uncle maybe?
Thank you for that info; when my family were evacuated one of my uncles was in the army two of my uncles were in the navy Fred Jennings and Charles Jennings (Sonny he was the one that died). My grandfather was ex navy from world war 1; my aunt Lena Jennings was in the land army; I do have a photo of the VE day celebrations out side of the house in Groveley lane all sat round a table. My family did return back to alderney. I do not recognise the names you gave but I do have some old photos of my gran and grandads with names under them, so will have a look to see if it is them.

This is an update to my first post; thanks to master brummie; I re-looked at the info I had; my granddad was evacuated in 1940 when he arrived at 177 Grovely lane his children were the following ages; Sonny was 15 and joined the navy after he arrived. He was 19 years old when he died suddenly shortly after he was discharged in 1944. Helena was 15 and joined the land army sometime after arriving; Fred was 12 years so could not have been in the navy until he became of age and the same with Henry he was 12 when he arrived and my mother was only 5. When I checked my granddad tree for brothers and sisters he had a sister called Ellen. So I think the connection is Ellen may have been a Jennings, but this will need to be confirmed/unconfirmed. It seems strange my grandad would just turn up on someones doorstep with family in tow.

Back