• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jenkins Street School Small Heath

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This was an early board school. British History Online describes it as:

JENKINS STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL. See Goodwin Cty. Primary Sch. GOODWIN COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Jenkins Street, Small Heath.(27) Jenkins St. Bd. Sch. opened 1873,(22) by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 953 B, G, I.(21) Fees 2d.–3d.(22) I dept. enlarged 1874.(21) In 1879 this sch. and Moseley Rd. Bd. Sch. had senior divisions with special provision for higher classes.(23) Enlarged 1898 and 1906. Accom. for 150 in Salvation Army Barracks 1911–12, and in Conference Hall, Jenkins St., 1912–13, pending opening of St. Benedict's Rd. Council Sch. Bd. of Ed. demanded improvements in premises 1912. Altered and reorganized 1931 for SB, I. I dept. closed 1936. Largely demolished by enemy action 1940, and sch. housed at Men's Institute, Jenkins St., until closed 1941. Practical block repaired 1949 and used by Oakley Rd. Cty. Primary Sch.(21) Remainder repaired and enlarged 1950, and sch. reopened 1953 for JI. Name changed 1955, and accom. in Small Heath Baptist Church provided. Accom. 1961: 10 classrooms, hall.(28)

029DBFE2-F8B0-4ED3-99E1-2EF02635C590.jpeg
Newspaper cutting from https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Last edited:
Hi all. I remember Jenkins St school as an adventure playground after the war ,we would get in through one of the smashed windows and climb over all the rubble and broken desks, on reflection we were lucky to get away with it as some of lnterior walls were very dodgy. My younger sisters went there after the rebuild although I myself went to Oakley Road school
I remember there was a Blacksmiths dead opposite Jenkins St school and we would spend many a happy hour watching the horse's being shoed and having a warm in the winter.
Regards Acklam19

The main Holy Family School didn't have enough places to fill the demand for the number of Irish families in Small Heath. So in late 60s they used part of Waverley Road School (Byron Road). I went there in 1970 and shortly after the HF Annex moved to Jenkins Street. It was a prefab building. The school also rented another building on the opposite side of Jenkins street so moving from one classroom to another meant being walked across the road. Small Heath used to be full of Irish. Nearly all my friends had Irish surnames but they have all gone now, including me.

Back