• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jenkins - Stephens

theodore

master brummie
Looking for info regards Miss Elsie Jenkins (Mrs Elsie Stephens). Lived at 12 Pope Street, Birmingham at some time (1917 - 1920?). Not a lot to go on but all I have at the moment. Possible one child.

Regards

Peter

Hello Theodore. Can you tell us anything about Elsie ? Is she a relation ? Can you share any information about her ? We like to hear about the lives of Birmingham people as it helps us build up the human aspects of Birmingham’s history, so anything you can contribute would be very welcome.Viv.

She is not at 12 Pope St on 1911 census, it is the Westwood family only then.. There are 8 Elsie Jenkins come up in a search

The only Elsie Jenkins I can find marrying a Stephens is an Elsie Nest Jenkins who married a Selwyn James Stephens, registered Pontypridd 1915.

Elsie Nest Jenkins was born in 1894 Pontypridd.
There are 2 births which may or may not be relevant
Mervyn J Stephens 1916 mother Jenkins and Leonard H Stephens 1917 m. Jenkins
None of these appears to be on 1939 register.
Can you name the child or would you rather do it by private message.
Does Canada figure in your search Peter, because some records show a Leonard H in Canada and
Selwyn James Stephens born 1892 died in British Columbia in 1970.
Update,
1962 voters list has Selwyn James Stephens and wife Elsie at 4114 Venerables Street, BC, Canada
Shipping lists show them going there in 1921.

Last edited:
In 1915 someone from 12 Pope St was advertising lodgings for two respectable young men, with or without board.

In 1926 Pope Street was part of a scheme to wipe out Birmingham Slums.

The Canadian link sounds interesting (if it is the same family). It would have been a massive upheaval. I had an uncle who went out there as a farmer (he was never in farming before that). So there must have been lots of new opportunities in the early 1900s. Viv.

Thank you all for your replies to my posting. As my original post says I don't have much info to go on other than name and that address of 12 Pope Street. Elsie Jenkins/Stephens is named as a dependant (pension) of a George Yates, relationship unmarried wife - one child. George Yates was killed 22.10.1914 serving with 2nd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment. I have been researching the 1914 Star men of this battalion for a number of years now which involves just over 1600 men.
Regards
Peter

The name Yates is interesting. Mary Ann Yates is listed on the 1920 e roll at 12 Pope Street. You may know this already but on the Register of Soldiers Effects - for George Yates it states "widow Mary Ann"

Wow, something to get our teeth into.
Records on military records show george Yates wife as Mary Ann and son as Leon George William
Leon G W Yates b Birmingham 1910
1911 Villa Street
Mary Ann Yates age 36 b. Kidderminster
Elsie Jenkins 18,b.Stourbridge daughter
Leon Yates 6 months son
Basil Yates 13 b. stourbridge brother in law,

Basil is on 1901 in
Brierley hill with parents George and Laura he also has a brother Leon.
George who was killed in 1914 would obviously therefore be a brother of Basil but I have been unable to find him.

There's a Leon George Pratt Yates registered Stourbridge 1883, mmn Pratt. Basil's mmn is Pratt.

Leon Yates born 1910 is registered with mmn Jennings but I did wonder if this should have been Jenkins?

Still no Elsie Jenkins/Stephens marriage. And I think she may have married George Thomas in 1915.

She also has a sister Evelyn Gertrude who possibly married William Thorneloe

Janice
Yes I do have the army register of soldiers' effects details for George which states widow Mary Ann (self and Children) but I don't have a pension card with Mary Ann plus child Leon. The pension card I do have refers to Elsie (unmarried wife - one child.
Alberta
Canada does seem to be involved, the above mentioned pension card (Elsie etc) has payable in Canada written at the top.
Have not found his (George) military record on Ancestry.
Thanks to all for the info.

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
I can't read the pension card details as the link from Ancestry is to Fold 3 but I can see the names Mary Ann and Leon.

There's a record showing Elsie Jenkins b1893 married Edward Stevens in Ontario in 1919. Both born in England. Mother Mary Ann Jennings, father Edward Thomas Jenkins.
Lynn.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Mary Ann Jennings didn't seem to have much luck with husbands.

Married Thomas Edward Jenkins 1892 (died 1903)

Married Thomas Hewson 1906 (died 1908)

Married Leroy George P Yates 1909 (died 1914)

And I think she was married before Thomas Jenkins as well, she appears to be listed as Ball on their marriage.

Jigsaw complete (well almost).

Why 2 (different dependents) pension cards?
On pension card naming Mary Ann and son Leon George William is states widow ineligible for pension. Seperated from husband prior to mobilization.
Second card naming Elsie (unmarried wife - child). I believe the child to be Leon (from marriage to Mary Ann) and not as a result of a relationship between George and (Miss) Elsie Jenkins. Elsie (Maud) was the daughter of Mary Ann (b. 1893) and Thomas Edward Jenkins.

Who was Pte. 10029 George Yates?

It's most likely Leon George Pratt Yates (b. Stourbridge Sept. Q. 1883) son of George M. and Laura Yates, served as George Yates.
Leon George P. Yates m. Mary Ann Hewson March Q. 1909 (Thomas Jenkins d. 1903 Mary had re-married) , Son Leon George W. (b. Dec. Q. 1910).

1911 census (fly in the oitment this).

No George. I already had what I believed to be the 1911 census for George. He was serving with the Worcestershire Regiment, aged 27, born Stourbridge but single. Had they already parted ways? Is it the right George Yates?

1911 census for Mary Ann states married living with son Leon and daughter Elsie (aged 18) Jenkins and brother in law Basil (Basil H. Yates brother of Leon (GEORGE) Pratt Yates).

Elsie emigrated to Canada and married (now Mrs Elsie Stephens). Info on pension card 2 payable in Canada.

Thanks to all for your help.

Peter

Very complicated but as there is no death or any other sign of Leon G P we can assume he became just George having first given his son his name.

Back