• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jemima Sarah Reddell, nee Burton (1846-1927) grocer of 49 Nechells Park Road and 7 & 9 Cattle's Grove, Nechells

Jason Ellis

master brummie
Hello, You wonderful people recently helped me with a Burton ancestor of mine who was a grocer. Now I have another similar request.

Jemima Sarah Burton (1846-1927) was twice married. First to Frederick Thomas Walthew then, after he died, to Joseph Luke Reddell (1847-1912) in 1885. From at least 1891 to 1901 Jemima Sarah kept a grocers shop at 49 Nechells Park Road while her husband worked as a carpenter. By 1911 it was Joseph Luke Reddell who was the grocer, now at 7 & 9 Cattle Grove, Nechells.

Any photographs of 49 Nechells Park Road, or 7 & 9 Cattle Grove, Nechells or maps of the era, or trade directory entries for Jemima or Joseph Redell would be greatly appreciated.

The full family history (so far) is at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G72Z-HH7

Thank you in anticipation.

Fantastic. Thank you brummy-lad for the almost instantaneous response. Contrasting that with Google maps makes it clear that the original building has gone (although the plot remains same size and shape). But the remaining building on the corner of Cattels Grove is obviously of the era. It's incredible to contrast the two. An entire railway line than forked off the main line and ran between Cattells Grove and St Clements Road has entirely disappeared! I now assume that the grocery store was typical of thousands of others of the era, just serving the local inhabitants. It's clearly not next to a railway station, major factory or anything similar.

Entry in 1912 business directory
View attachment 168870

(You might need to change the spelling in the title).
Thank you Janice, that is clearly it.

A bit of social history emerges, probably solely due to the male/female hegemony of the era. The 1911 census clearly shows her husband as shopkeeper (grocer) and ascribes no trade to Jemima Sarah. To be the person listed in the 1912 trade directory proves that she "wore the trousers"!

What this new information now tells me geographically is that both locations were basically opposite sides of the road from each other. Despite the address 49 Nechells Park Road, it looks as the building fronted onto Cattell's Grove and 9 Cattell's Grove is almost exactly the opposite side of the road.

Really helpful, thank you both. All I can now dream of is a photograph?

hi jason great shame because if someone can confirm that bullivants shop was at no 50 there are photos of that on the nechells park road thread...if this is correct it was on the opposite corner to no 49....so near yet so far...i have a photo of the woodman pub cattells grove but i dont know what number that was at

lyn

A bit of social history emerges, probably solely due to the male/female hegemony of the era. The 1911 census clearly shows her husband as shopkeeper (grocer) and ascribes no trade to Jemima Sarah. To be the person listed in the 1912 trade directory proves that she "wore the trousers"!

What this new information now tells me geographically is that both locations were basically opposite sides of the road from each other. Despite the address 49 Nechells Park Road, it looks as the building fronted onto Cattell's Grove and 9 Cattell's Grove is almost exactly the opposite side of the road.

If her husband was Joseph why is he not the entry in the Directory?

Last edited:
i was born in cattells grove and i remember 49 it was a huge house.and the folk in there we always thought it was something to do with the chemical works.
when it become empty,we would mooch around in there. lots of rooms,and there was a bell sys for the butler and maid
in the kitchen. at the rear of the garden was a wooden stair way leading down to the railway track. and a underground air raid shelter which was our den. the houses were demolished and petrol station was built there for a few years run by the triggers.

Last edited:
From directories (remember that date is publication date is probably the year before)
Joseph Redell not at no 49 in 1884 edition
He Is listed at no 49 in 1888-1900 as a grocer.
No 49 not listed in 1903 edition.. But Joseph Redell listed as coal dealer at 7,9 Cattells Grove in 1903 and 1904 edition
1908-1912 Joseph is listed as a shopkeeper at 7,9 Catells Grove
1913 Mrs Jemima Redell is listed as a shopkeeper at 7,9, Cattells Grove
1915 No mention of either in directories

Your wish is our command, not a photograph but an aerial view from 1946

Attachments

• cattells-grove.jpg
    cattells-grove.jpg
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 9
hi jason great shame because if someone can confirm that bullivants shop was at no 50 there are photos of that on the nechells park road thread...if this is correct it was on the opposite corner to no 49....so near yet so far...i have a photo of the woodman pub cattells grove but i dont know what number that was at

lyn
woodman pub no 39

lyn

There's an advert for a first class assistant for Bullivant's in the Birmingham Mail 1939, gives the address as 50-51 Nechells Park Road.

thanks pete that was the photo i was thinking of...only just noticed its called cattells grove now not lane

lyn

i remember we rolled down the hill from johnson st to cranemore st on skates, and let the papermill lories pull us back up again,they went that slow back then and hardly anyone had a car.
and we would lie on the celler loading doors and shout to the landlord,through the vent holes.:grinning:
there was a big security bloke in the chemical works we called him pc none, if we were mooching in the grounds he would chase us but soon give up when we escaped under the fence. Sweets were 1p a bag from buchers shop number 27, i asked him if he had any for 1/2p. he said no:( ( wait till it grows into a penny)that was 65 years ago and i still remember it

:grinning:

Attachments

• 1649320312363.png
    1649320312363.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Hello, You wonderful people recently helped me with a Burton ancestor of mine who was a grocer. Now I have another similar request.

Jemima Sarah Burton (1846-1927) was twice married. First to Frederick Thomas Walthew then, after he died, to Joseph Luke Reddell (1847-1912) in 1885. From at least 1891 to 1901 Jemima Sarah kept a grocers shop at 49 Nechells Park Road while her husband worked as a carpenter. By 1911 it was Joseph Luke Reddell who was the grocer, now at 7 & 9 Cattle Grove, Nechells.

Any photographs of 49 Nechells Park Road, or 7 & 9 Cattle Grove, Nechells or maps of the era, or trade directory entries for Jemima or Joseph Redell would be greatly appreciated.

The full family history (so far) is at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G72Z-HH7

Hello,

I have another Walthew related question. In the 1851 census Hannah Walthew, widow, (nee Bucknall) is a publican with a very precise address - the corner of Islington and 48 Broad Street, an excellent location for a pub. Can anybody help me with the name of the pub of a list of licensees?

Thank you

Jason Ellis

That address is not quite right. It is 48 Islington (which later became part of Broad St) and the pub is given as The Broad St Tavern. The 1845 and 1849 directories (which both probably refer to a year, or possibly 2 years before) do not list a pub at 48. The 1855 directory lists a beer retailer , Mrs Sarah Nutt. A beer retailer could mean an off licence, but the 1861 directory lists Thomas Kemp retail brewer, so it was a beerhouse Presumably it was started between the 1849 and 1845 directories.

Back