• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

jelfs

P

pawpaw

william m.annie cottrell. eldest son silasthen marjorie,but who else

jelfs lived hochley...annie and william married around 1919
silas born 1921---all verbal info--trying for written pathways

Hi pawpaw, possible birth for you

Name:Silas W Jelfs
Mother's Maiden Surname:Cotterell
Date of Registration:Apr May Jun 1921
Registration district:Birmingham
Registration county:Warwickshire
Volume Number:6d Page Number:584

As Bernie said, Astonian probably has all the Jelfs in Brum in his records

bren

There are quite a few births in Birmingham Jelfs/mothers name Cotterell
Silas 1921
Annie M 1923
Jonathan 1925
John F and Hellie G 1926 twins,may be Nellie.
Pearl S 1928
Esther M 1931
Dennis V 1933
Patricia R 1935
Raymond E 1937
Derek D 1940
Hazel D 1942

Astonian has possibly the complete Jelfs family history both from written records and his own amazing recall.

Last edited:
annie m 1923 may be the marjorie (called by 2rd name)
there was a dennis ??couple others sent out of Brum to ??Wales to avoid the bombing WW2
believe the johnathan and the john died in infancy
sounds like we're up a creek with a paddle
can any of this be helpful as you all are

Hi there,From Electoral Rolls I found the following,
William and Annie Jelfs living at:
1930 & 1935 80 Branston Street
1939 10 court 3 Branston Street
1945 10 back of 80 Branston Street (with an Annie M Sherratt)
1950 10 back of 80 Branston Street,with Pearl Jelfs.
Hope this helps.

Hi Pawpaw ,what is it you are looking for.
Living relatives or information about ancestors?

hi linds and alberta
i have just come back from black pool dancing
just spotted pawa thread i have reason they have fairly good
connections to my jelf so if we get info; from paws it will be intresting
going by the branston address it could have been a tea room
and william had one shop in his life [ billy]
and going by yje records of infant deaths its looks like that way is silas a jewish name can any body confirm please
i look foreward to this one
best wishes astonian ll

Hi Astonian - got this from a baby names site.

SILAS

The meaning of the name Silas is Man Of The Forest

The origin of the name Silas is Latin

And here: Silas ♂ Of New Testament origin: Greek name, a contracted form of Silouanus (Latin Silvanus, a derivative of silva ‘wood’). This name was borne by a companion of St Paul, who is also mentioned in the Bible in the full form of his name. The Eastern Church recognizes two separate saints, Silas and Silvanus, but honours both on the same day (20 July).

hi bernie
is it not possible that arrives from the bibicle times
that it could be an jewish origin used name
my mother told me of a lady named pearl
from the hockley area
one of the william jelfs infants was burried in at key
hill hockley and it was in one of those cemetrys indexs
in the filing cabints in central libary birmingham
one of the senior members of the jelfs told me the family whom i cannot mention becos of the data protextion
as he is akive but i have a way around it
bernie i will come back to you soon
thanks for the translation ;

giday --thanks for your assistance/info
impressed with your knowledge base and sharing---
at a stage where curiosity cured the cat---most interested in life/lifestyle of the jelfs. yes,it is the bramston st ,as father mentioned this street....we recieved the birmingham paper weekly until the 60's...people,places and things esp hockley; it's changes are high on the agenda---your site opens doors(steven bassett,anglo saxon brum) does this assist... silas died 1969 in australia.believe religion anglican. WW2 was royal marine and thus distanced from siblings etc....trust this helps as i have never followed family trees before

hi paws
just read your latest request on info' for the jelfs
i am at the momemts going through some thoughts on your
requests
going by the expresson you have some kind of aussie
connections is this where your father went too
and what year would it have been ,if thats the case
also if if its correct what part of aussie would be the case
they are coming from and part of aussie would they
have been living in -in that country
look foreward to hearing from you soon
good day to you best wishes astonian ;;;

silas jelfs hong kong 1945 with royal marines
australia 1946/discharged
settled south east queensland and died here 1969(12 january)
we all remain in south east queensland---born and bred here----
does this assist----yes aussie----

hi paws
yes it does spring to my mind as my mother was a jelf
and a only child to one certain member of a jelf
told me of a aussie connection some where in australia
many years ago around the perid you have mentioned
and there was an aunt and unle whom she met many times and moved to aussie land
so going on the therory of branston st hockley seems to be filling in afew spaces
would you know or recall whether or not you or your parents ever came back for a vistit to attend a funeral of one of the jelfs
in and around the period of 1953 for a funneral of one certain member of the jelfs
i will have to dragg out info on records that i have managed to
accumelated on my family of jelfs
but i know in my heart of souls we have aconnection here
because it regards the aussie relationship withthe jelf
and i also there is a rlative in canada ; and in scotland [perth ;
paws i await your inportant reply to this thread
the periods of date quite cleary match the periods of time we are speaking about
do you know of any info; about hocley at all have other members of the family names you may have to go on
any address or even whom sent you or your father the news paper periodartles
even your mothers first names
this would be a great help
now you have made a great aussie connection to me and surely it cannot be coincidence i shall be traveling to birmingham this evening and and converse with my sister about this aussie connection
because i do hold alot of info ;to the jelfs family tree
i await you reply with baited breath of antispation
have a great day best wishes astonian;;

Thankyou----never left Oz once here. Birmingham paper from Great Grandparents Mothers' side ,who were Brums (so Birmingham always seen as home base by all) Mother born and bred Oz. Father know as Bill in Oz---never Silas. Birmingham connection knowledge is pieced together from Fathers infrequent chats about family----we all agree on names posted by Alberta but never aware of sequence etc...more a case of, oh yes heard that name----and such and such about them. Very aware of the Jewellry Quarter and Hockley.(places rather than people...people information snippets and randomly mentioned ---- and time puts together ) Jelfs is a strong name and very much a midlands name.Trust this is helpful for you as you have been for us

hi paws
very true jelf was a very strong name in the midlands
especialy in the pre war years and right up to the 40-and 50,s
but sadly there are very few people who now or heard of jelfs
they was in there elements during those years high flyers in high circles
i have learnt alot from my ancesters of yesteryear and even today i am learning more about them and the fore fathers
but i would really like to know whom was your great grand mothers name
because annie keeps coming up all the times
through out the jelfs family for generations
i myself is a grand son to one of the wealthyest grand mother of jelfs
to be quite honest i really can not make head or tales from your thread
and please do not take that as a insult because its not
you have not mentioned any names or dates for our experts to go on
please furbish some dates and christian names
the property in branston st had been going for years even after
silas sailed to oz. land that i do know
but i have to say again paws to me you are coming across confusing to my self personaly
so please try and be abit more explictit in your names and dates
i know of two or three of these sibbling you have given
dennis - and raymond are two names that come to my forth
also my grand father died in 1969 and my grand mother died in 1963
william died in 1935 and anndied in 1946
william died on the september 15 -1935 and ann died 16 sept 1946
correct me have i read it correctly your grand father died in 1969
paws i look foreward to more info on your threads i hope soon
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;

i myself is a grand son to the jelfs

Silas william jelfs b.1921 birmingham and died Oz 1969 .Left england WW2 with Royal marines....served with Monty in africa etc etc--- Was in Hong Kong at the end of Pacific War for the "clean up". Settled in Oz 1946 and never left Oz. Lived and died in Queensland
Alberta's thread gives a list of Jelfs names we are familar with, but never had details--(year of birth,sequence in family----)
Talked often of Marjorie who must be Annie M.the 2rd eldest.... You have let us know she was Annie known as Marjorie we believe. War interferred with normal sibling/family life so our knowledge is scant.
Mothers side came to Oz as soldier settlers at the end of WW1...James and Helen Bourne family.James gave us the newspapers which he recieved in the mail weekly .Mother born and bred Oz (1925 and died 2006)
So both parents had strong knowledge and attachment for the midlands.
Not sure what i can assist with, as not sure who is who in the zoo-----Anyway you have all been so helpful.Only sure facts i have is all of Mothers side and that silas, 1921 to 1969, born birmingham to william and annie(cotterell).All else a mystery that may be revealed.

forgot to mention--father definitly grew up in Bramston st Hockley

HI PAWS
Thats good news to me it confirms my memory
of the history of the story of the jelfs empire started
in hockley by there great grand father
whom started a bussiness selling from a cart of some discription out side lucas,s in great king st hockley
at this precise time i can not recall the years i think it was the first world war and he would stand outside selling tea and sandwiches to the workers whom was working at lucas,s
eventualy he bought a property which i beleive was in summer lane i think she said it was it was close to the big factoryany way
and he opened a tea room and started to sell hot food
and every day she said he would have a steaming hot joint of meat
in the front shop window and the windows would be steamed up and he would wear a apron and a great big cheff,s hat sticking up
and she would mention the lady named pearl
i remember going around to branston st myself with my grand father jelf they had two great big whopping provisions ware houses
she remembers your father
at this time in motion i am breifly thinking i do have a written
essay on it regarding them i will have to consult the attic and drag all my jelfs history out as i am wriying a book at themoment of the jelfs empire whomand what they really was in this country and there back ground and there involvement in the english society
alot of people never knew what they really was as there secret life
contained they was a generation going back of high society people
alot of the latter generation of the jelfs were born in and around the aston and hockley area along with there bussiness
i have got to admit i did have alot of problems working on
williams back ground and still do to be quite honest hehas been hard to trace
any way paws there is alot more to say and do but i will have to go and dragg out the old files and also go and see my sister today
and tell her the news of your contact and hopefully get some very
old photo copies of the jelfs which i promised to do last week
but i could not get there as i had to travel
speak to you soon astonian ;;;

we have limited information about the jelfs family,,,,have sent all we know
unsure if we can assist further---but very gratful for your threads----most helpful. We are very interested about the jelfs family history so thankyou in advance for your help.We think you are part of our family closet and you'll sort out an answer.( We are 10 hours in front of you here so i sleep while your awake and vice versa ---hence messages appear disjointedand lapsed:wave::wave:)

gidday Astonian,
May you, or others, (think you have the knowledge base) be able to say who William Jelfs,the father of Silas William b.1921,was a child of---and who his siblings may be...... Your Jelfs threads have been very interesting and we would crave knowledge of where we fit into the bigger picture.
Have you written your book on the Jelfs?????
It must be very rewarding to speak with people who can relate matters.

hi paws
at the moment i am half way through writing this book
i have a fair amount of knowledge of whom was whom
and the carrying ons in there life
i have not yet reached sias father but i know one of the jelfs whom may know and he is a sibbling to william jelf
is name as well is raymond whom also had a brothr called dennis and
dennis died some time ago
what year i do not know yet
and the other sibbling whomis still alive is elderly
in is late eightys was a big noise in is time
but he distant his self from the jelfs when he got maried
but the truth of the matter they distant them selves from him
because he emigrated to canada and came back a founder member of the commi party and they are all or was should i say conservits part members
if you tap into google you will learn more about the jelfs
arther jelf . -george jelf - raymond jelf
they are a complicated family to trace through beleive me
there is no end to william,s and george,s
i went back to the village where they all come from
today the village is over run by jelfs sibblings
so unles alberta can furbish you ant further at the moment i have not got down to whonhis father was okay
speak soon
giday to yah best wishes astonian ;;

Hi pawpaw, here is the marriage --

William Jelfs/Annie Cotterell 4th qtr 1920 Birmingham 6d 577

bren

Possible births --

William Jelfs 3rd qtr 1899 Birmingham 6d 105

Two for Annie --
Annie Cotterell 4th qtr 1899 Birmingham 6d 69
Annie Cotterell 4th qtr 1901 Birmingham 6d 73

Ideally you need to send for the marriage certificate as on there it will have their ages and the names of both their fathers and their profession. With that info we could look for a marriage for each father and we could also try and pick them up in both the 1901 and 1911 Census.
Can i suggest you click the link below, it will take you to another thread on this site, and have a read, it tells you the process we employ and try to adhere to in researching as it is so easy to get it wrong as you can see with the two close births for Annie

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12911

bren

Very interesting thread that I just stumbled on about my own family - I guess I am also related to some of you which is a pleasing thought. I have been looking into the mystery of what became of Silas (my uncle) on and off for some time now. I discovered a while ago that he emigrated to Australia from Hong Kong following demob at the end of WW2 however from then on nothing.

To Paw Paw if you are Silas's son or daughter you are my cousin ( I am Dennis's son) and it is very nice to know that you are out there in Oz. I always believed that Silas had a family in Oz and perhaps we can make contact outside of this forum? (Not sure if that's allowed as I'm new to this) but I'm up for it if you are.

The story of whatever became of Silas is a bit of a Jelfs mystery sadly my own father died always wondering what became of his elder brother - he often spoke of him. I am in close contact with his youngest sibling Raymond and I know he will take great comfort in finding the answer to this long standing mytery - Silas has never been far from his thoughts. He will also be able to fill in any blanks or questions you may have about your Grandparents, William and Annie Jelfs. Just ask away and I will get the answers for you.

Best regards

Carl Jelfs

Hi carl
i hope you do not mind me asking you a question
but did yoi have another brother called dennis after your fathers name ?,
as i think raymond told me a couple of years ago now
or he could have been arthers son he mentioned
do you recall park lane aston x
look foreward to hearing from you soon
seasons greeting . Astonian ;;;

Back