• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jazz players

Lots of good musicians coming out of Brazil these days so here's one, pianist Eliane Elias with her husband Marc Johnson (late of the Bill Evans Trio) on bass, Graham Dechter on guitar & Brazilian drummer Rafael Barata with Desafinado

Maurice :cool:
Good to see the bass being bowed, à talented group
Bob

Indeed, Bob, since the death of Paul Chambers, we haven't really seen much bowed work at all. That's when you have to get the intonation right. I've heard both Marc and Eddie Gomez make monumental errors in the plucked solos, but they've always been spot on when bowing.

Let's see if this registers with anyone. He's probably the greatest Hammond organ jazz player alive today. With Dan Wilson on guitar (no mean slouch, as they say) and Jason Brown on drums, here's the Joey De Francesco Trio with the tune One Hundred Ways. Joey D is also a very competent trumpet player, though not on this track.

Good to see the bass being bowed, à talented group
Bob
Sorry only just caught up with the jazz thread..... Humph ..Chris Barber etc at Townhall.
Great nights. But over the last few years I've been listening/ watching ( u.tube ) a bunch of kids ( to me ) play New Orleans jazz. The name is TubaSkinny. Give them a listen..... fantastic.......
compare well with greats.

Sorry only just caught up with the jazz thread..... Humph ..Chris Barber etc at Townhall.
Great nights. But over the last few years I've been listening/ watching ( u.tube ) a bunch of kids ( to me ) play New Orleans jazz. The name is TubaSkinny. Give them a listen..... fantastic.......

Yes, they are great!
I've watched them too, can't remember how I came across them now, it might have just been a YouTube recommended suggestion.

I have been following 'Tuba Skinny for some years also. Talented band.

Back