• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

JAUNCEY'S GARAGE - Stockfield Road South Yardley.

PHIL72

proper brummie kid
Interested to know if anyone has any memories,photos etc of "Jauncey's" garage which used to stand on the corner of Stockfield Road with the junction with Yardley Road in South Yardley??
The garage buildings ( or the majority of them ) were still standing recently in use as a garden centre / shed manufacuring business.
The garage was in the 60's the very first garage in Birmingham to be open 365 days a year, run by 4 brothers ( Tom,Archie,Ray and Earnie Jauncey ). The garage had the old fashioned overhead petrol supply pipes to reach cars out "in the street" across the pavement.

Has anyone any information they can add?
Thanks in advance.

PHIL72,Jaunceys Garage was well known, i was at Church Rd school with a Son of one of the brothers can`t remember his name if still with us he is 81yrs old, they had a monkey which they would let us see, at the Silver Jubilee 1935 & the Coronation 1939 when we had street partys Jaunceys lorry would come loaded with mandarin oranges and they would shoveled off for the people at the party, i think Councillor Painter (Undertaker) payed for them, does any one have a photo of the garage?. Len.

Last edited:
As far as we are aware, in circa 1960 the garage was owned by Archie / Tommy / Ernie and Raymond Jauncey. The house on the right-hand side of the garage was the offices for the garage itself, and the house imediately next to that was where Raymond Jauncey lived, with his wife and son Rob.
I do have several photos which I will scan and upload in time.
When you talk about the 1939 era and "Jauncey's lorry" - did they own the garage back then to your knowledge ( or did Jauncey start out in some other line of work ? ).

Hi PHIL72 FROM ROBB JAUNCEY RE DADS GARAGE STOCKFIELD RD I LIVE DORSET NOW YOU CAN CALL ME 0130******* THANKS ROBB

Last edited by a moderator:
Back