• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jarrett Rainsford & Laughton Wave Grip Makers

Thanks Rosie. On the advert thread Lady P described the clips as "vicious" and that isn't an exaggeration. They had very sharp spikes along the inner edges and if you trapped your fingers in them it really hurt and could pierce the skin. No wonder they're no longer available. Although, maybe some 1950s revivalists would probably still use them for authentic 50s waves. Good luck to them ! Viv.

In the mid-50s, most of the girls I knew were "Comptometer Operators", (whatever THAT was !), and most of my mates were apprentice toolmakers at Twinco Stratton, as we called it then.
It was a local firm for us and employed a lot of local people.
On reading back on this thread I notice I failed to make my point.
Jarret, Rainsford & Lawton were known as Twinco and their factory was in Warstock Road B14.
(Soz !).

#16, These wave grip makers were mentioned on the Advertisement thread.
rosie.
I used to hear advertisement pronounced as advert tisement. Did you? Where I worked we would get hauled over the coals if we answered the phone, saying Advertising!, as the department was the Advertisement Department. Now they gve you War and Peace before you can be put through.

This is a photograph of Laughtons on Warstock Road, also known as Twinco , who made Stratton products, as of last week. My Mom, Nan and various Aunts and Uncles all worked there at one time or another. Yet another, End of an Era. (Apologies for blurry picture)

Attachments

• Photo on 31-10-2017 at 00.45.jpg
    Photo on 31-10-2017 at 00.45.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 30
This is a photograph of Laughtons on Warstock Road, also known as Twinco , who made Stratton products, as of last week. My Mom, Nan and various Aunts and Uncles all worked there at one time or another. Yet another, End of an Era. (Apologies for blurry picture)
That's a sad sight.
I wonder how many houses the developers will squeeze into that space ?

I don't know what will be built in it's place. Sometime last year there was talk of a hotel.
But at the top of the road, Alcester Road end, on the corner of Limekiln Lane and Warstock Road, plans have been submitted for a Lidl supermarket.

Photo on 04-11-2017 at 15.26.jpg Photo on 04-11-2017 at 15.09.jpg Photo on 04-11-2017 at 15.26.jpg Photo on 04-11-2017 at 15.09.jpg For your delight, A Laughtons pill box and a Compact. Does anyone use either any more?Are they still even made by anyone?

[QUOTE="lansor,
But at the top of the road, Alcester Road end, on the corner of Limekiln Lane and Warstock Road, plans have been submitted for a Lidl supermarket.[/QUOTE]
Last time I was up that way it was a petrol station.
I can't imagine a hotel on the Twinco site.

[QUOTE="lansor,
But at the top of the road, Alcester Road end, on the corner of Limekiln Lane and Warstock Road, plans have been submitted for a Lidl supermarket.
I can't imagine a hotel on the Twinco site.[/QUOTE]

OK. You've still got the petrol station on Alcester rd,then Limekiln Lane. This is after limekiln lane on the site of the old gas depot. I went to a meeting at the E57 club and saw the plans. If i can find them i'll post a copy.

Thanks for that mate, things have changed noticeably since the days when I hung around there with my pals, (1950s !)
I'm surprised the old E57 is still going.

Hi Rowan
The grips were made by Jarrett, Rainsford & Laughton. You may know them as Laughton and Sons my mother worked for them in the 50s & 60s by then the grips were sold as Lady Jane
hi, my mum joyce cattle worked at laughtons in the 50s or early 60s too.

On reading back on this thread I notice I failed to make my point.
Jarret, Rainsford & Lawton were known as Twinco and their factory was in Warstock Road B14.
(Soz !).
yes my mum worked there late 50s early 60s joyce cattle. and silk and terrys printers were next door my grandad worked there.E]

Attachments

• 90441297_10222443761101715_1163487025370759168_o.jpg
    90441297_10222443761101715_1163487025370759168_o.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
that's so sad, heres a happier pic.

Attachments

• 90441297_10222443761101715_1163487025370759168_o.jpg
    90441297_10222443761101715_1163487025370759168_o.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
[QUOTE="lansor,
I can't imagine a hotel on the Twinco site.
[/QUOTE]
I couldn't imagine a hotel on the old Standard Factory site here but they built one, a Sainsburys, petrol station 3 fast food outlets, Noodle Bar but I still see it as it was before.

hi, my mum joyce cattle used to work at laughtons, my grandad used to take me there to see my mum on her break. happy days.

hi, my mum joyce cattle used to work at laughtons, my grandad used to take me there to see my mum on her break. happy days.
The Laughton's factory was split into two - I worked in Twinco Toolroom 72-78. The demolished side was Twinco plastics and was manufactured from plastic injection mould's. This was picnic ware, combs etc. The other side, still standing, was the press tools side and this was where the compacts and such like was manufactured, and so Stratton was one of the brand names. I had happy times there and it was my first job. The trouble was I didn't realize it.

I went to Grendon junior school from 61-67 so I was associated with that close area for quite a time.

We love to write post about Jarrett, Rainsford & Laughton (subsequently known as Laughton & Sons Ltd. on our website.
Here is one article:
There are more articles on the website.
Best wishes
Danielle Boyd

Back