• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jarrett Rainsford & Laughton Wave Grip Makers

Arn't they Marcel Wavers? My Nan had those too I wish she had kept them. I used to play with them, pretended they were Aligators . They were a sort of a dull greeny brown. She had a hand clippers for the back of your neck in the box they came in (everything was in it's original box) & my aunty had long curling tongs she heated in the fire, then dipped them in water, hissing then in paper then curled her hair .

Arn't they Marcel Wavers? My Nan had those too I wish she had kept them. I used to play with them, pretended they were Aligators . They were a sort of a dull greeny brown. She had a hand clippers for the back of your neck in the box they came in (everything was in it's original box) & my aunty had long curling tongs she heated in the fire, then dipped them in water, hissing then in paper then curled her hair .
we did and every time we ended up bleeding:(

we did and every time we ended up bleeding:(
From the clippers? Nan used to do her mum's neck. She insisted mum had her hair short shaped & Marcel waved, mum would mimic her, then she rebelled, grew it, permed it, coloured it, bleached it, added hair pieces, rolls like sausages.

.She had a hand clippers for the back of your neck in the box they came in (everything was in it's original box)
In danger of going off thread here but - clippers like these? These were my Nan's and Mom used to use them on Nan's neck when she cut her hair. I found then when I cleared out the flat after Dad died. No idea why I have kept them as we have electric ones :D

Attachments

• Clippers.JPG
    Clippers.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 4
In danger of going off thread here but - clippers like these? These were my Nan's and Mom used to use them on Nan's neck when she cut her hair. I found then when I cleared out the flat after Dad died. No idea why I have kept them as we have electric ones :D
Janice.......items that have historical or hysterical memories should be kept:grinning:

We still had those alligator clips in our house in the 1960s. Yes they were lethal, even when clipping onto your hair. Hairdressers still regularly used them too. But to be honest they did the job - no pain, no gain ! Viv.

I remember going to the barbers when I was young (short back and sides), they cut my hair with hand clippers and sometimes used a lighted spill. Not sure what I was scared of most!

Yes, exactly like these. Mum did Nan's moustache and her beard as she called it. I can still hear the sound of those wavers, they were very sinister. They were tge same colour as Nan's cake tins for baking, if that makes sense? But shinyer. Glad you kept them.

Back