• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James William SWAIN

Gazzo

300 Years of Brum DNA
Can anybody help regarding my G-grand Uncle, James Swain. Served mostly in West Africa between 1899 and 1916. Born in Aston in 1878, he died from Beri Beri in 1922. I believe he was decorated in service but don't know what medals or service/regiment he was involved in. Would also like to know the relevance of the British Army in West Africa for this time period if possible. Many thanks in advance, Gazzo.

there are some service records for a james swain of birmingham on ancestry. they are dated sept 1898 and say he is 19yrs and 3 mths. royal regiment of artillery

his pension records are definitely on ancestry. james william swain. army ordinance corps in aug 1899

i would strongly urge you to join ancestry if you can as there is LOADS of info on james william swain. descriptions of him, addresses of his father and place of work, medical records and everywhere he was posted with all the dates. also gives his date of birth and parish of birth etc. he became a staff sergeant.

Gazzo - You may want to check out a free trial period with Ancestry or other provider. James William Swain looks like he was registered in 1879 and was born 4th May 1879

He joined up on 4th Aug 1899 in Woolwich for general service. He was 5'6", 120lb, 33" chest, fair complexion, light brown har, hazel eyes with something distinctive about his right buttock. Certainly did some time on the west coast of Africa (think around Zungeru Nigeria) between 1903-1914 and was promoted to staff-sergeant (I think) and finally QMS. Perhaps telling that he was invalidid in w. Africa for 3 months in 1911.

Next of Kin - father Thomas Swain 371 Bolton Road, Small heath. His address 47 Langley Rd Small Heath Previous occupation Gun Smith/finisher (master is A.W.Hand of Chesterton Rd Sparkbrook) - he has a cert from Royal Small Arms Factory Sparkbrook. Mr Rowe the Grocer of 411 Bolton Rd was his reference

Only long service/good conduct medal mentioned. Good with a machine gun

Discharged as unfit for service on 29th May 1914 or 1916 with Beri-Beri - nice comments by the Colnel inc "excellent all round man"

No.899 Armourer Quarter Master Sergeant J..W.Swain in Armoured Ordinance Corps

Northern Nigeria was a British Colony/Protectorate between 1900-1914 see https://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/northernnigeria.htm

Back