• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Upton, listed only as Church Street.

Kat7272

master brummie
In the 1881 census, James Upton born 1851, died 1914, is listed as living at church la, Harborne. There isn't a house number, can anyone help?

I can see old church rd when I Google and on an old map but not church lane????

I am having problems with the national library map search, it will not let me enter anything at the moment.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your title says Church St, I have altered that, having looked at the census. Cannot find any church Lane in Harborne. However, there is a road, labelled on the c 1889 map as Church Road, now named St Peters Road. This is marked ( a bit spottily) in red on the map. As immediately following the page with James Upton on, there is a mention of Albert Road, and Albert Road leads off the marked Church Road, then i believe Church Road was meant.

map c1889 showing old Harborne village.jpg

Kat7272

master brummie
Hi Mike, thanks for the alteration, and thanks for the info too, you always deliver, I am grateful.

I don't think I am going to be any wiser than the info you provided Mike. I did think that Church Lane may now be the Old Church lane, but you would have mentioned that in the post above if so.

Of course I was hoping that I may eventually be able to find a house number and locate the house but after the excitement wore off I realised that as there isn't a house number on the census and basically I am done for!!!!

But never mind, I cannot complain, I have been very fortunate in what information I have found so far.

Ken_R

master brummie
Of course I was hoping that I may eventually be able to find a house number and locate the house but after the excitement wore off I realised that as there isn't a house number on the census and basically I am done for!!!!
Not necessarily.

If you can find neighbours that are also listed in later Census entries, which also show house numbers then, by elimination (and extropolation;)) it may still be possible to identify the actual residence. That said, in that period, as families grew/or reduced, they could often move to a different address in the same street. Removal vans in that era weren't for the everyday people. They carried their possessions by hand or by cart.

It means a lot of work [to identify the address], maybe even using an Excel Spreadsheet to track the residents through the decades, but there is a possibility that it can be done.:)

Kat7272

master brummie
Thanks Ken R, good point. I understand what you mean by elimination and exploration. I have been using Excel spreadsheets at work for over 20 years, so spreadsheets are familiar to me.

I will put that on my to-do list. The magic wand of this forum has struck again!!!!!!:):)

Radiorails

master brummie
Anyone who does not have Microsoft Office - or whatever they call it now - or doesn't want to buy it, might consider the free versions, Libre Office or Open office. I have used Libre Office for some while.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Just drifting mildly off-topic, I found a musician today who was using Excel as a drum machine. Excel stored the basic rhythmic patterns and he used samples or the basic FM synthesis built into Windows audio for the actual sounds. I have yet to look at this in any great detail yet, but when I get around to it I will post a sample into a more appropriate thread. Don't hold your breath as I am quite busy with other things at the moment. Meanwhile, back in Harborne........

Maurice :cool:

Ken_R

master brummie
I've looked at Open Office but it doesn't seem to support the same Macros. SWMBO does transcribing for LancsOPC (Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project) https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ which is Spreadsheet based, and I have written a series of Macros that automatically increase/insert image numbers, enable questionable entries to be highlighted [for further consultation/investigation] and to auto-save at specific points, and a few other things.

I got, as a present, some years ago, Office Home and Student 2010. Paid for and on CD with Security Code.

Last year, or so, SWIMBO wanted a new Laptop. Fine. We selected one. Purchased such, and then. when looking to load Office, "Where is the CD slot?" It didn't have one. DOH! :cold_sweat:

Problem solved. I copied the CD to a USB Memory Stick and installed it on the Laptop from there.:)