• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Turner Street

Carl Chinn is his normal colourful manner has elaborated on the story behind who the James Turner was that the street was named after. As stated we had come to the same conclusion but without the resources at Carl's disposal at the History Department of Birmingham University.

The Winston Green House and Winston Bridge House was still shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey Map but not exactly where other have claimed.

Although it is not clear which of the two houses he actually lived in.

The land these two houses stood on are now Magdale, Blackford and Byrant Streets off Winston Green Road by the Birmingham Canal Bridge.

12155955795_4c3784cdbd_o_d.jpg

As stated we had come to the same conclusion but without the resources at Carl's disposal at the History Department of Birmingham University.

As young Mr. Grace would say "you've all done very well".

The house that James Turner lived in was located more or less where Foundry School is today at the top of James Turner Street and was called Winson House. It is marked on the map by C.M.Blood 1857 and is further up the Winson Green Road from either of the houses marked on the OS 1889 map. It would have been demolished before 1889 as Foundry School was built in 1883. There is a house on the corner of James Turner Street dated 1889 which interestingly doesn't appear on the OS map of the same year - in the process of being built no doubt. As Gary Smith says in his book "A Walk Up the Green" (page 59 and see earlier posts), the gatehouse still exists on Winson Green Road opposite the junction with Lodge Road. There is at least one photograph of the house in the "Images of England" series I think and presumably from Birmingham Archives along with a photograph of Richard Tangye who later occupied the house.

The house that James Turner lived in was located more or less where Foundry School is today at the top of James Turner Street and was called Winson House. It is marked on the map by C.M.Blood 1857 and is further up the Winson Green Road from either of the houses marked on the OS 1889 map. It would have been demolished before 1889 as Foundry School was built in 1883. There is a house on the corner of James Turner Street dated 1889 which interestingly doesn't appear on the OS map of the same year - in the process of being built no doubt. As Gary Smith says in his book "A Walk Up the Green" (page 59 and see earlier posts), the gatehouse still exists on Winson Green Road opposite the junction with Lodge Road. There is at least one photograph of the house in the "Images of England" series I think and presumably from Birmingham Archives along with a photograph of Richard Tangye who later occupied the house.
That's where all the Confusion lies "Winson House" , "Winston Green House" or "Winston Bridge House"

It would be nice to see a copy of the 1857 C.M.Blood map.

CCF26012014_00000.jpg

This is the C.M.Blood 1857 map which is in the back cover of "A Lost Landscape" Matthew Boulton's Gardens at Soho. James Turner's House is just above the WIN of Winson Green and is much larger than either Winson Bridge House and Winson Green House which are further to the south opposite Norman Street.

This is the C.M.Blood 1857 map which is in the back cover of "A Lost Landscape" Matthew Boulton's Gardens at Soho. James Turner's House is just above the WIN of Winson Green and is much larger than either Winson Bridge House and Winson Green House which are further to the south opposite Norman Street.
The map you supplied above is very convincing and makes a lot of sense Thanks

More on the history of James Turner Street when everyone had a job

Guardiian - Benefits Street: the hard-working history that Channel 4 left out

When Birmingham's James Turner Street was built in the 1800s,

it attracted the prosperous working classes from all over Britain.

Now it's become the UK's most controversial road.

Bernard from this can I say that if a relative was living at number 87 James Turner Street when he signed up for WW1 it would be the house that's there today. Thank you.

Hi Dottie
Yes I know of James turner street of times gone bye and I was so saddened to see how it
Became of today,for what ever reason
It certainly was a high class road to be living in way back in time right up until the 1950s even to the beginning of
1960.Houses was well kept and there front gardens and rear gardens and it was a very quite street
And the street was never seen with any litter blowin g in the wind even out side the school gates
I used to court a young lady whom lived more or less passing the school
She was a nice young lady called Joan and people was hard working and professional people
And a lot of prison officers as well as those whom lived on in front of the prison walls
And the prison governor lived in the big house I cannot say the name of the house but it did have a name
The prison officers houses have all gone except the old governors house is still but it used by the local
Authority for some purpose , that I do not know
The old prison walls of the prison used to be at the bottom of there gardens of the old little houses they had
I can recall them building the new walls all around the prison
On the subject of James turner street its the sign of the times of poverty its political
And its our changing of our ageing population to today's younger generation whom are in poverty
But our generation pulled together and got through it but we never had the problems of druggs
Our society as lost its code of decency and self respect in all forms of manner

I was sent this some time ago, it's the off licence in James Turner street the owner says it's Mary Hilary Paxe ? not sure of the surname .

Attachments

• james turner st offie.jpg
    james turner st offie.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 18
Astonion you are so right about the decline and it's not just Brum or UK.
We have it here in a nice rural area of Australia and our major cities are up to the neck in drugs!
So sad all round.
Cheers Tim.

Jim
The electoral roll at the off licence at 80-82 James Turner st shows Florence M Paice in 1952. She is not there in 1950 or 1955

Last edited:
Hi Dottie
Yes I know of James turner street of times gone bye and I was so saddened to see how it
Became of today,for what ever reason
It certainly was a high class road to be living in way back in time right up until the 1950s even to the beginning of
1960.Houses was well kept and there front gardens and rear gardens and it was a very quite street
And the street was never seen with any litter blowin g in the wind even out side the school gates
I used to court a young lady whom lived more or less passing the school
She was a nice young lady called Joan and people was hard working and professional people
And a lot of prison officers as well as those whom lived on in front of the prison walls
And the prison governor lived in the big house I cannot say the name of the house but it did have a name
The prison officers houses have all gone except the old governors house is still but it used by the local
Authority for some purpose , that I do not know
The old prison walls of the prison used to be at the bottom of there gardens of the old little houses they had
I can recall them building the new walls all around the prison
On the subject of James turner street its the sign of the times of poverty its political
And its our changing of our ageing population to today's younger generation whom are in poverty
But our generation pulled together and got through it but we never had the problems of druggs
Our society as lost its code of decency and self respect in all forms of manner
Thank you for your reply to my question Alan its nice to get a general idea of the area.

Jim
The electoral roll at the off licence at 80-82 James Turner st shows Florence M Paice in 1952. She is not there in 1950 or 1955

Mike, whilst doing more family research I discovered some distant relatives living at no 98 James Turner street, just a few doors down from the off licence at number 82. Acoording to the 1939 and 1940 electoral rolls the occupation of the daughter of the house was a shopkeeper. Would you know if number 98 was a dwelling house or a shop. If it was a shop could you tell me what kind of shop. Thanking you in advance, Jim

Jim
The Kellys for 1937,1938,1939, 1940,1943 & 1944 (each referring to the year before that date ) just refers to the occupant of 98 as Miss Hilda Mary Clenton, shopkeeper. Similarly for Walt Clenton before her and the later occupant in 1946 . I would normally expect such a description to refer to a small corner shop selling a mixture of items

Mike thanks for your reply. According to Ancestry.com Hilda was a second cousin of mine. I never knew her or her family, in fact I don't know much about James Turner street other than what I have learned via this forum thread. Perhaps there may still be someone on the forum who lived there in the 40s/50s who has a memory of the shop.
Thanks again for looking for the info I was after.
Jim

Mike, whilst doing more family research I discovered some distant relatives living at no 98 James Turner street, just a few doors down from the off licence at number 82. Acoording to the 1939 and 1940 electoral rolls the occupation of the daughter of the house was a shopkeeper. Would you know if number 98 was a dwelling house or a shop. If it was a shop could you tell me what kind of shop. Thanking you in advance, Jim
Hi. Just scrolling through these threads and noticed you were asking about whether No. 98 was a shop. It was a shop when I lived in James Turner Street from 1950. It was a general grocers store. Hope that helps.

Back