• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Scott - clerk to B'ham and Warwick canal co

hascott

Wrightson's 1818 directory lists a possible relative as "Scott, James, Navigation Office, , Bartholomew St".

By 1830, he may have been here: "House Agent and Clerk to the Warwick Canal Company. Source:The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire Wm West 1830"

Does anyone know of any surviving records for the Canal Company - or suggest likely avenues of research to let me put some flesh on the bones of James?

Last edited:
James is listed in the 1815 and 1823 Wrightsons with the same entry. In the 1823 entry it is 65 Bartholemew st.

mikejee, Thanks very much.
James was evidently in Aston at the time. He was busy with his wife having a family of 11 children. I think she was Ann Orme and I think also that they started their life together in London as their first child was born there.
Birmingham addresses I have for James are: 117 Lawley St (1841) 5 Bartholemew St (work, 1830), 10 Jennen's Row (home, 1830) and finally 92 Hatchett St (where Ann died in 1843)
I am envisaging a man who started life in London and moved to Birmingham to work for the canal company. His children appear to have canal connections too: his eldest daughter married a 'commercial clerk' and went to live in Tettenhall - at the 'other end' of the canal. Family visits must have been interesting!

Barthomew Street was the offices for Warwick & Birmingham Canal Co. They were at Moor Street until 1808 and later moved their office to Lower Fazeley Street adjacent to Warwick Wharf. Canal Company clerks had an important role in canal affairs.

Back