• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Robert Srawley & Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) of B'ham & Warwickshire

Lancaster

knowlegable brummie
Hope I've posted this in the correct place!

I am trying to find where James Robert Srawley, his wife Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) & their family were living after 1939. Up until 1939, the Electoral Registers have them living at 47 Kenelm Road, Small Heath but the Registration Districts in which James’ & Louisa’s deaths were registered seems to point to them having moved out of Birmingham to Warwickshire (see below).

I have the following information:
* James Robert Srawley was born c1878 in Birmingham, son of Henry Charles Srawley & Harriett Srawley (nee Lymath) & died c1964 (registered 1964 Q1, Alcester).
* Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) was born c1873 in Aberdare, Glamorgan, Wales & died in 1955 (registered 1955 Q2, Warwick).
* They married in 1900 (registered 1900 Q3, Aston (Birmingham)) & lived in Birmingham until at least 1939 (from The 1939 Register on FindMyPast).
* They had at least eight children between 1901 & 1917:
* Lilian born 1901, who married Herbert Walter Thomas Savage in 1932 in Yardley, Birmingham.
* Phylis born c1904
* Dorothy born c1906
* James E born c1908
* Sidney G born c1910
* Dora S born 1912, who married William T Embrey in 1941 & had at least two children, John T & Philip C.
* Marjorie H born c1915, who married Michael J Moore in 1940 & had at least two children, Michael F & Eileen.
*Arthur J, who I believe was born 1917 & died as an infant in 1918.

I lose track of the family after 1939, until the death of Louisa Elizabeth Srawley in 1955 registered in Warwick Registration District, followed nine years later by the death of James Robert Srawley registered 1964 in Alcester Registration District. Presumably James & Louisa were living in the Warwick area for a while & I wonder whether James then moved to live with family after wife Louisa died (as his death was registered in Alcester Registration District rather than Warwick).

The name "Srawley" variously appears as Scrawley, Shrawley, Sprawley, Strawley, Trawley, Srewley.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: James Robert Srawley & Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) of B'ham & Warwicks

If you think he moved to Alcester then you need Warwick records - I don't think these are on line. His death certificate should tell you where he was living and also who registered the death. A search for this address on the electoral roll might then tell you who else lived there. You could also do the same thing for Louisa's death certificate. It should give you a start.

Janice

Re: James Robert Srawley & Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) of B'ham & Warwicks

Lancaster I presume you are on Ancestry as you may find extra information on there

Thanks pjmburns & carolina for your replies.

I do have access to Ancestry & have checked their online Electoral Registers for 47 Kenelm Road for 1945, 1950 & 1955.
James & Louisa Srawley are not listed at the property, but their daughter Marjorie & husband Michael Moore are listed at the property. I can’t think of a reason why James & Louisa wouldn’t be mentioned at the property in those Electoral Registers if they were there, because they had been listed there in previous Electoral Registers. If anyone can think of a reason why they wouldn’t be mentioned, I’d be pleased to hear.

I’m therefore led to the conclusion that they must have left the area & may, by 1945, have been in the Warwick area.

Yes, I think sending for copies of James & Louisa’s death certificates & following up with a search of the local electoral registers may be the only way of establishing exactly where they were & who they were with

I have had a look on the British Newspaper Archives in case there was something on there, but sadly no. A few Srawleys but nothing tallying up to yours.

Hope I've posted this in the correct place!

I am trying to find where James Robert Srawley, his wife Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) & their family were living after 1939. Up until 1939, the Electoral Registers have them living at 47 Kenelm Road, Small Heath but the Registration Districts in which James’ & Louisa’s deaths were registered seems to point to them having moved out of Birmingham to Warwickshire (see below).

I have the following information:
* James Robert Srawley was born c1878 in Birmingham, son of Henry Charles Srawley & Harriett Srawley (nee Lymath) & died c1964 (registered 1964 Q1, Alcester).
* Louisa Elizabeth Srawley (nee Yarnall) was born c1873 in Aberdare, Glamorgan, Wales & died in 1955 (registered 1955 Q2, Warwick).
* They married in 1900 (registered 1900 Q3, Aston (Birmingham)) & lived in Birmingham until at least 1939 (from The 1939 Register on FindMyPast).
* They had at least eight children between 1901 & 1917:
* Lilian born 1901, who married Herbert Walter Thomas Savage in 1932 in Yardley, Birmingham.
* Phylis born c1904
* Dorothy born c1906
* James E born c1908
* Sidney G born c1910
* Dora S born 1912, who married William T Embrey in 1941 & had at least two children, John T & Philip C.
* Marjorie H born c1915, who married Michael J Moore in 1940 & had at least two children, Michael F & Eileen.
*Arthur J, who I believe was born 1917 & died as an infant in 1918.

I lose track of the family after 1939, until the death of Louisa Elizabeth Srawley in 1955 registered in Warwick Registration District, followed nine years later by the death of James Robert Srawley registered 1964 in Alcester Registration District. Presumably James & Louisa were living in the Warwick area for a while & I wonder whether James then moved to live with family after wife Louisa died (as his death was registered in Alcester Registration District rather than Warwick).

The name "Srawley" variously appears as Scrawley, Shrawley, Sprawley, Strawley, Trawley, Srewley.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Off the subject slightly but I believe my husbands grandfather Charles Francis Yarnall was Louisa Elizabeth’s brother. I have loads of info about the Yarnall family if you are interested. I came across your query when searching for “Yarnall, Aberdare”.

Back